97 kx250 shock swap

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

97 kx250 shock swap

Post by Friedom »

Hey all, there's a 96 kx250 rear shock for sale locally for $20. Will it fit my 92 kdx200?
I'll update this post if I find the result myself.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 97 kx250 shock swap

Post by Friedom »

Update: nice discussion here. Doesn't really say yes or no. Seems like it'll bolt on, but is an inch longer. Sounds good to me if I'm going to get taller KX forks!

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1653

Think I'll pick it up if it's not all greasy and leaky.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You'd really be better off just springing the KDX one for your weight and refreshing the seals if it needs it, plus a new charge of nitrogen. The KX shock is longer which will bugger up your rear end alignments as far as your chainline goes. You may also have issues with the linkage accepting the longer shock. Then again, it might work just fine. $20 and a couple hours will tell!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would not try it. Length and clevis fit (the bottom end piece) are concerns.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Jason wrote:I would not try it. Length and clevis fit (the bottom end piece) are concerns.
I would also suspect that the shock body shape in general would have fitment issues. The E-Series shock body is cast with a downward-angle on the reservoir to clear the exhaust pipe. Perimeter framed Kawasakis don't have that, as the pipe exits below the reservoir, not above as on the backbone-frame models.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

sarrant wrote:
Jason wrote:I would not try it. Length and clevis fit (the bottom end piece) are concerns.
I would also suspect that the shock body shape in general would have fitment issues. The E-Series shock body is cast with a downward-angle on the reservoir to clear the exhaust pipe. Perimeter framed Kawasakis don't have that, as the pipe exits below the reservoir, not above as on the backbone-frame models.
DUH!! WAKE UP, JASON! :oops: Yes, the E shock reservoir goes down to clear the pipe above it. That one (and the "H" KDX) goes up to clear the exhaust pipe below it.

Having said that, for my own personal reasons, I would buy it in an instant at $20. The spring probably fits your bike and if you don't have the correct rate spring right now, maybe that spring is correct or at least closer??
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I'm a whopping 160# fully geared up. My spring doesn't seem to be an issue, but the bottom out bumper is pretty shot. I don't think the seal is leaking, the bike has only just become clean enough for me to determine if the gunk on it before was over spray from a slew of engine problems(just finished second rebuild) or the shock itself was bad. Now that it's all cleaned up, it didn't get wet and sticky so I might be ok for awhile.
Was just wondering if the kx stock was a bolt on ordeal. According to the linked post above, it worked pretty good but needed two washers to shim the upper mount.
And it made the rear end stick up "like a stink bug".

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Internal shaft travel is going to be greater. That first big jump may be a doozy.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Friedom wrote: Was just wondering if the kx stock was a bolt on ordeal. According to the linked post above, it worked pretty good but needed two washers to shim the upper mount.
And it made the rear end stick up "like a stink bug". "
That post used an '89 KX shock, which is very similar chassis to an E-Series KDX. The '96 KX is completely different design (perimeter frame with different exhaust routing).
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Good point, thanks.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

97 kx250 shock swap

Post by SS109 »

I installed an RM125 shock on my H-series bike. It has about one inch longer travel than stock and I haven't had a problem even when I have bottomed out the rear. Just saying.

As for the KX250 shock, like has been mentioned, the reservoir will more than likely interfere with your pipe. However, you can keep researching different shocks to possibly find one that will work. Finding a good suspension guy, one that has been in the biz since the early 90's or is at least willing to work with you, might lead to a good upgrade. Good luck!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:I installed an RM125 shock on my H-series bike. It has about one inch longer travel than stock and I haven't had a problem even when I have bottomed out the rear. Just saying.

As for the KX250 shock, like has been mentioned, the reservoir will more than likely interfere with your pipe. However, you can keep researching different shocks to possibly find one that will work. Finding a good suspension guy, one that has been in the biz since the early 90's or is at least willing to work with you, might lead to a good upgrade. Good luck!
What year RM shock did you put on?
I'm really quite happy with my stock shock still, though I haven't set my preload properly as I'm still messing with the front end.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Attackhelicopter

97 kx250 shock swap

Post by Attackhelicopter »

I did this swap on a 97 kdx and it worked great (not sure about the sub 95 model)I would advise setting the proper sag on the stock shock and then setting the kx shock to that height. I always measure from the tip of the rear fender.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Attackhelicopter wrote:I did this swap on a 97 kdx and it worked great (not sure about the sub 95 model)I would advise setting the proper sag on the stock shock and then setting the kx shock to that height. I always measure from the tip of the rear fender.
Why from the tip?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

97 kx250 shock swap

Post by SS109 »

Wow, sorry I missed your post before. The shock I have on my H-series is from any '01-'06 Suzuki RM125 and the lower clevis from a DRZ400. You also have to slightly clearance the "knuckle" (part #39007-1229).
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Attackhelicopter

Post by Attackhelicopter »

Easier for me to be more precise.