rear shock?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Grayhorse

rear shock?

Post by Grayhorse »

I've almost finished my kx fork swap, when I sit on the bike the front end feels solid as a rock but the rear end feels super soft.
After you guys put your kx forks on was your rear shock compatible with some adjustment or am I looking at having to get a heavier spring?
please advise
I weigh 185
Last edited by Grayhorse on 09:46 pm Feb 18 2006, edited 1 time in total.
96 KDX 200 H2
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What do you weigh?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

FYI... the frontend should not feel solid as a rock. Sounds like you have stiction. Also, what spring rate is in the front? You proly will have to readjust your frontend again... there are several posts on it....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

My forks feel OK, when I said solid as a rock I ment compaired to the rear end. I'm not exactly sure of the spring rate I'm assuming they are 02 stock. I haven't ridden it yet but it just feels like its out of balance and I'm more concerned with the shock being too soft than the forks being too harsh.
96 KDX 200 H2
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Back to my question... what do you weigh? The stock rear spring should be good to about 200#

Have you ever set the sag?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Mine felt the same as you describe and shore enuf it was stiction... Not saying yours is,,,, just mine was. :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

his post says 185# and that should be perfect for the 5.0 springs. have you ever serviced your shock? it is not the spring that is the problem for you. for me at 165# it is.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

I reassembled the front end checking for stiction, then I bled the air out of the forks and checked the rear sag. I dont know if it was the air or binding but the front end did seem a little softer afterward. Unfortunately I think I'll have to wait for warmer wheather, ride the bike and go from there.
96 KDX 200 H2