92 KDX KLX 300 Forks Swap

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

Ok guys I have been trying to dig up info on this for a couple days but can't get put it all together.

I bought KLX 300 forks for my 92 E series. I know the forks will swap onto the steering head but the front axle might (WILL NOT) not work and I will need a new calliper. My question is can I use an H series axle and spacers with my E series wheel? I ordered one cheap on eBay already but thought I would bring it up here to see if we can get some hard answers and document it for future inquiries. If nobody has an answer I will have one soon enough I guess. Worst case I will have to buy a new wheel and brakes which makes my cheap upgrade... well not so cheap.
Last edited by KDW on 08:36 pm Dec 13 2016, edited 1 time in total.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

So I found the answer.

According to

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oempa ... -kdx200-e4

and

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oempa ... /front-hub

The front hubs are the same and all I should need is the axle to make it all work.

I will make sure I post my results anyway incase I find any other issues.
KDW
Supporting Member

Re: 92 KDX KLX 300 Forks Swap

Post by KDW »

And of course a new calliper. Since I am buying one anyway does anybody have any advice on an upgrade or should I just get the newest KDX/KLX one I can find?
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

Crap OK so the numbers on the pictures are just reference numbers. I should know better than to think a part number is that short. At any rate the hub part numbers do not match. I guess I find out if I can make it work when the axle gets here.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

The forks seam to be the same width between the axle mounts and the bearings are the same part number which gives me allot of hope. The brake rotors are both 0 offset and the same outside diameter which brings more hope. The question is will the disk line up with the calliper? I need to order a calliper to find that out. I guess that is what I am doing tonight.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, the old caliper won't bolt up to the newer forks. Be sure to check out the brake hose, fork guard and brake hose routing on it. Hopefully you bought forks with guards. Maybe you can get the KLX hose, too. If it is not much more, you may want to spring for the whole front brakes and just sell off your E brakes as a whole.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

Yeah I already ordered the calliper and had an "oh S**T" moment realizing the master cylinder is probably a different bore. I will sort that out when I get there. Snow on the ground and still have other things to figure out. I have read a bit on the fork guards and brake line routing on the KLX and I think I will look at other options. Allot of the KLX guys swap to a KX guard and a new brake line anyway. I have a hose shop down the street that makes me new lines while I wait if I need. Not the cheapest option but a good way to get what you want and know will work.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

The Master Cylinder rebuild Kit is the same for all years 89-06 so no issues there. For the life of me I can not understand why it is so hard to get master cylinder bore info for stock setups. Just went through this last night with my TZR250 build.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good. Maybe it will all work out.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

Quick update,

I finally had some decent weather to pull the KDX out of storage and see if I can make the wheel work with the forks and the answer is no. The calliper pushes the wheel about 1/4" out of centre. So I guess I am looking for a new wheel.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the follow up information.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

OK so after further inspection I think I can mill a little off the calliper mounting bracket and worst case take a little more off the mount on the fork. I will take some pictures and report back.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

I think this should do the trick. I flushed the mounting surface down to the casting and that gets me pretty darn close. I think I will need a 1/6" washer on the disk side spacer to centre the wheel and line up the disk dead centre. The bolts stick through and need to be cut or have a couple washers or they will make contact with the disk.

I am going to rebuild the calliper and button everything down before I declare it a success but I am pretty sure that will do it. It could be a while before I revisit this however, I have a bigger project on the bench right now that needs to be on the pavement by spring. I will post my final result when I get around to it.

Last edited by KDW on 02:40 pm Jan 19 2017, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Pictures dont show
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

changed to linked files
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

I am using Google images which used to be Picasa and since the change it acts differently. I have a ton of pictures up on other forums I am sure do not work anymore as a result. Sucks. I will just have to post links till I get around to finding a new photo host.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

I did a quick test tonight to make sure my forks have the stock springs before ordering a new ones.

https://goo.gl/photos/BrFUYQZGCGYByqFj8

If you look at the image you ca see I just used a tie down to pull the shock down against a bathroom scale. I did the same with the old shock which I know has .40 kg/mm springs in it. I applied 170lbs over the weight of the forks for a total of 200lbs. On the stock forks with .40 springs I got 85mm of travel. With the KLX springs I got 90mm of travel. It's not perfect science but it's enough to tell me that it was indeed the stock spring in the KLX fork.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

I had some spare daylight hrs today to work on the KDX. I mocked up the front end and realized I needed another 2mm to centre the disk, when the wheel is centred. The only option now is to take 2mm off the calliper mounts. If you click the links below (sorry I know it's annoying) you will see how I did it. Pretty easy. So it is confirmed now that KLX300 forks will work on an e series with a little work. Once I am done and have final pictures to show I will sum everything up and post it at the top of this topic.

https://goo.gl/photos/i3aymEUFWMZfev8b7

https://goo.gl/photos/W4CzXcd8adeQmToT8

https://goo.gl/photos/w96sjrDEDVRBhV9F9

https://goo.gl/photos/EjfmVvH11WYsDGqf7

https://goo.gl/photos/Exot8qY6Dq6kpocC6

https://goo.gl/photos/YXZ3EedwwHMDUisQ9
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

I have the .46 springs, calliper rebuild kit, break pads and KX fork guards on the way. Once it has all arrived I will spend an afternoon bolting it all back together and post some more pictures. In the mean time I will try to find a new image host.