Klx forks vs Kx forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Pipeliner

Klx forks vs Kx forks?

Post by Pipeliner »

Hi, I new here. I am considering a fork swap on my 2004 Kdx 200. I have read tons of articles on this. I am looking for opinions. I know the klx is a direct bolt up. Would the klx be ok with the correct springs? We just ride woods and not extremly fast. I just want the best bang for my buck. Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Klx forks vs Kx forks?

Post by offshoretitan »

I did the KLX300 front end onto my 2004 220. It was rebuilt with the correct springs for my weight, valves, etc. Also rebuilt the rear shock and re-sprung it at the same time. Adjusted Sag, etc. The bike is set up well and handles well. Biggest benefit was getting rid of the under hang of the original front forks and generally having the bike now properly set up for me. IMO unless you're really pushing the bike toward its limits, you're not likely to regret the easy KLX conversion. I'm 55 and ride in TN hills with lots of roots and rocks. The bike handles this stuff with ease. Here are a couple of pics when the work was done. I don't have a picture loaded in my gallery of the completed project - sorry...

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If your just trail riding IMO the best bang for your buck is spring the stock suspension for your weight. For under 150 you can get springs and all new fork seals/bushings and have a front end that will work fine in 95% of the stuff you'll ride.
Pipeliner

Klx forks vs Kx forks?

Post by Pipeliner »

Thanks for all the advice guys! What do yall think about a 1994 kdx 200 front end on my 04?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Uhhh, I don't know that it would be worth the trouble, given the 41 mm tubes. If it was free and someone else did the Labour for free, then yes, but not in general. KDX250 / KLX250 / 300 has the 43 mm tubes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128