1995 KX250 vs. 2005 KDX220 forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Shytluk

1995 KX250 vs. 2005 KDX220 forks

Post by Shytluk »

Hi all,

I've been doing a TON of research here and other places on suspension upgrades for my newly acquired 2005 KDX220 and my head is swimming with information. It's very hard to keep everything I've read organized in my head between different years, models, manufacturers, etc....

I have the opportunity to possibly purchase an entire front end off of a 1995 KX250. Forks, triples, wheel brakes, ......everything!

I realize that my 220 uses old technology when it comes to the front end, but would the 95 forks that are 10 years older than my already nearly 12 year old bike really going to make that much of a difference, comparing if both were set up specifically for my weight and riding style.

Can the 10 year older front end really be that much better? They are both 43mm inside tubes just one is conventional and one is USD.

I've already spoke to a suspension shop about my stock front end and was told they could make it much better. So my concern is whether it would be worth the extra cost to buy the 95 front end and then have that set up along with my shock instead.

Would be riding everything from tight single track, to moderate hill climbing, to fast straight aways on haul roads and dirt roads smooth or covered with rocks.

Thanks for any information that will help.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1995 KX250 vs. 2005 KDX220 forks

Post by KDXGarage »

The 1995+ KDX forks are very similar to 1988 KX125 / KX250 / KX500 forks. You are basically looking at seven years newer technology.

Within each person's budget is a tipping point as to where it is better to just spend the money on the KX front end. That will change per person, but the performance benefit will be similar to almost all riders.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Shytluk

Post by Shytluk »

Jason wrote:but the performance benefit will be similar to almost all riders.

Ok, that's great, let's take it from there.

That is after all why people do this conversion. So if I understand you, you are saying that there is a performance benefit to go with 95 KX forks over the 05 KDX forks.

Please forgive me, I've tried to absorb a lot of information and with different years having different upgrades and features I would need to start a notebook listing the differences.

I've also looked at a set of 91-92 YZ forks and triples. It looks like they would work doing the stem swap. I know I read somewhere that the Yamaha forks are different and quite possibly in a better way. But again, with out taking notes to compare everything I've read on different threads here it's hard to keep track of it all.

A couple of hundred dollars more to upgrade my front end isn't an issue if it's going to make that big of a difference in performance. And that's what I'm looking for, better performance.

Thanks again! I appreciate all your knowledge and patience with my questions.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

1995 - 2006 KDX forks are all the same.

Some benefits of USD forks are flex characteristics and less overhang. The KX USD forks will also be more able to be tuned to your specific needs. They will probably need to be rebuilt, sprung to your weight, revalved and shortened.
Shytluk

Post by Shytluk »

Thanks again Jason!

Do you guys think if I rebuilt the 1995 forks that they are a good choice, or should I look for some that are newer?

I kind of like the fact that I can get the 95 front end complete, probably with bars and everything else.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The more you spend, the better it gets. Your wallet wool be your guide. :hmm:
Shytluk

Post by Shytluk »

Jason wrote:The more you spend, the better it gets. Your wallet wool be your guide. :hmm:

Wow! :bravo:
DJNiedz

Post by DJNiedz »

Jason wrote:1995 - 2006 KDX forks are all the same.

Some benefits of USD forks are flex characteristics and less overhang. The KX USD forks will also be more able to be tuned to your specific needs. They will probably need to be rebuilt, sprung to your weight, revalved and shortened.

Are the KX forks a lot longer? Too long to just slide them through the triples?