Choosing the right forks: Basic questions

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
taxonomy

Post by taxonomy »

I am thinking of doing a fork swap, but I would like to keep it simple. For me this means using the KDX wheel as 500 complete front ends seem hard to come by.

I think I am looking for 1999-2003 forks KX125 or 250 forks as I can retain my front wheel.

Will I need to have the forks shortened to retain stock geometry?
Am I overlooking some other forks that are easier to use?
Is there any difference internally in the forks from '99-'03
Is it worth getting newer forks or some other kind of fork rather than sticking with the 99-03?

I see a lot of listings for forks on eBay that say 99-02 which makes me wonder if the '03 for is different in some way?

Sorry about so many questions.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

taxonomy wrote:I am thinking of doing a fork swap, but I would like to keep it simple. For me this means using the KDX wheel as 500 complete front ends seem hard to come by.

I think I am looking for 1999-2003 forks KX125 or 250 forks as I can retain my front wheel.

Will I need to have the forks shortened to retain stock geometry?
Am I overlooking some other forks that are easier to use?
Is there any difference internally in the forks from '99-'03
Is it worth getting newer forks or some other kind of fork rather than sticking with the 99-03?

I see a lot of listings for forks on eBay that say 99-02 which makes me wonder if the '03 for is different in some way?

Sorry about so many questions.
You had another post about possibly buying a 2006 KDX200, so I will go from that.

If you want to use a KDX wheel on a KX fork, you will need to have an axle made or adapters machined.
Several KX125 / KX250 front wheels will work on the KX500 forks.

"Will I need to have the forks shortened to retain stock geometry? "

On KX forks, yes, unless you pull them way up in the clamps and then deal with them possibly hitting the handlebars.

"Am I overlooking some other forks that are easier to use? "

Simplest is switching to a KLX300 / KLX250 / KDX250 clamps, forks, guards and necessary brake changes. The 1995+ KDX axle and wheel are used.

"Is there any difference internally in the forks from '99-'03"

Yes, bladders, bumpers, stock springs are proggressive / linear, OD tube diameter, etc.

"Is it worth getting newer forks or some other kind of fork rather than sticking with the 99-03? "

Let your budget, desire and riding level be a judge.

"I see a lot of listings for forks on eBay that say 99-02 which makes me wonder if the '03 for is different in some way? "

1999 - 2002 KX125 / KX250 are in the same model family. As far as forks, the top clamp is 99 - 01, bottom clamp is 98 - 01, 2002 is its own unique year. (Someone correct me if I am wrong)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
DJNiedz

Post by DJNiedz »

Jason wrote:

"Am I overlooking some other forks that are easier to use? "

Simplest is switching to a KLX300 / KLX250 / KDX250 clamps, forks, guards and necessary brake changes. The 1995+ KDX axle and wheel are used.

will any year klx 250 front end work? I see klx 250 front ends all the way up to 2012 sometimes for sale.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Choosing the right forks: Basic questions

Post by Tyl3r »

Personally, I would go with kx forks over klx forks if you plan on a rebuild/revalve.

For the easiest, I did a 94 and up (if memory serves) KX500 swap on my old KDX. I didn't respring/valve them, but they were a massive improvement and I loved them. The swap couldn't have been easier. If you really need that stock odometer.... a Trail Tech computer can be installed for less 100 bucks and you get a lot more info.

Unless you are a serious racer, it's not going to make much a difference what year you go with, especially if you are on a budget. I'd just try to go with something from this century haha With a proper spring and valve job. It's going to be a big improvement over stock...that's my opinion, take it for what it's worth lol I'm only a weekend warrior
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
kdxron

Re: Choosing the right forks: Basic questions

Post by kdxron »

So will the KLX 250 forks/triple mount the same as the KLX 300? I'm on budget and don't want the buy new wheel/brakes. etc. Currently there is set of KLX 250 forks on ebay but no KLX 300 forks.

Thanks