so, what to do about the clamps hitting the tank?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i got a heat gun from a buddy(aside: we do a lot of kayaking around here and our boats can be molded/repaired with heat guns, so there was plenty to borrow) and did a little adjustment. i did not wanto to lose any range in the steering, so i did not want to do anything to the stop. the heat gun is a really easy option. i may have to do a little bit more to the right side, but i am trying to be minimal. as stated, there is no ignition source so, the explosions and flames should not be a problem. if you heat it enough to provide an ignition source then your tank is probably laying in a pool on the garage floor. thanks for the heat gun suggestion.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:supz: Sweet !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

How 'bout some pictures of these melted gas tanks. I want to see what it looks like :hmm: .
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

ok

the little black line is where the tank was hitting. yes this moving of plastic did just make that area thinner by a few mils, but it should be a protected area. i probably should have heated up a larger area and then deformed it, but i did not. this is what i have. it will work for me.

top view
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

:shock: I don't see any pictures.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'll get some up later. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|QBB<[/url]
layoutd wrote:ok

the little black line is where the tank was hitting. yes this moving of plastic did just make that area thinner by a few mils, but it should be a protected area. i probably should have heated up a larger area and then deformed it, but i did not. this is what i have. it will work for me.

top view

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think I would'a ground down the clamp a bit. I'm fussy about apperances and that doesn't look too good on the tank there.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Agreed. I think I will look at modifying the clamps.
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

yes, grinding would have probably looked better, but this is what i have. function is important for me not neccessarily looks. i can always get another tank later if i want to look good. i'm riding today and not slapping the tank, so i am happy :mrgreen:
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote: I'm fussy about apperances and ........

Couldn't tell by your vulgar display of monkeys! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yeah just champher (sp?) the back edge of the top clamp off. My tank doesn't look too bad, barely noticable but I will get some pics tomorrow to show anyway.

KDX200Kev

Post by KDX200Kev »

I finally started my conversion. Took me awhile to get a wheel. Regarding the steering stop, I ended up using two strips of steel screwed to the bottom of the steering stop on the frame, which I curled the sides of the steel strips up with a hammer. The new stops work really good since they are now lower and wider then OEM. I painted them and now its not even noticeable. I have pics of it in my gallery. IMO I think this will become the standard for fixing the stop issue, because it works so well, adjustable by the thickness of the metal, easy to do, and cheap. :supz: