This seems wrong....

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The difference(s) is in the valving (shim stack). RaceTech has all sorts of stack options for different applications of the 'Gold Valve'.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The actual gold valve itself comes in two flavors as Trev mentions; an agressive MX and the origonal. The springs (just to confuse you more; also called the shims, washers, stack, etc) are tunable in that the diameter, thickness and order will make the bike dampening perform at different rates based on riding agressiveness and terrain.

I call the shims springs because that is what they do; they bow when oil pressure is applied to them. Think about a leaf spring, but instead of just in one, linear direction, the spring is a complete 360 degree circle, capable of flexing all the way around it's diameter. You stack the springs just like leaf springs on a car to adjust the initial softness and for prevention of bottoming out, by starting with long, flexy springs and working your way down to short stiffer ones.

My head hurts.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Where'd the post go???....

A repeat..

I understood KayD to be talking about stack configurations..sorry.

Yeah...they make two types of basic valve, and they even call them 'Type1' and 'Type2'!

Note they rec a Type1 first for a KX250, Type2 is used for 'heavier' riders and when 'bottoming resistance' is the primary issue.

In other words, Type2's suck...whether the shims are less stiffier or more stiffier, it prolly wouldn't matter.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

((((MIKE))))
You can Build, Carve & Assemble that awesome Vodka Bowl Cabinet & you are having trouble measuring((((()))))))
:lol:
Just havin some funnn
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

my measuring is fine, it's my thinking skills that could use some work! :rolleyes:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220