01 KX500 FORKS

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

01 KX500 FORKS

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

I'm working on the KX500 front end conversion for my 86 KDX200. I'm gonna put new seals bushings and oil in the forks before putting them on, (needed or not I just want to make sure they're fresh), and I'm getting my parts together to order. I'm reading through the fork service section in the KX500 manual for the appropriate oil and level, it says I can use Kayaba 01 or SAE 5. I'm gonna go with Maxima 5wt, but out of curiosity, that means these forks are Kayaba/KYB forks correct? And that's different than Showa right? I can't seem to find any specific information and the differences between the two and wondered if anybody could inform me or copy a link to good info on this?

While I'm here, anyone have any tips on tools that would benefit me in servicing the forks? I'm not gonna be servicing forks all the time so I don't want to spend big bucks on tools, unless you fellas insist they're worth it. Or homemade tools?

Thanks!
01 KDX220--86 KDX200--07 YZ450F
Dear Kawasaki,
Please bring back the KDX!
Sincerely, Everyone
sarrant

01 KX500 FORKS

Post by sarrant »

Yes. They are Kayaba (KYB) forks. Yes, it is a different company than Showa.

The two specialty tools that you may find handy for servicing is the damper rod tool (cartridge holder) and a seal driver. Both are available through Motion Pro. And, as you mentioned, both of these you can prob come up with a homemade alternative fairly easily yourself, as they are not particularly complex devices.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 01 KX500 FORKS

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, they were made by Kayaba to Kawasaki specs. Showa is a different company. I think about all the 2006 and newer KX250F suspension was made by Showa.

Kayaba (also known as KYB) is a suspension manufacturer. Kawasaki paid them to make some forks that met Kawasaki's specifications.

Most of the KDX''s we own came with KYB made forks. At least some of the KDX80's had Showa. I am not sure on all of the earliest models past 1986.

Very good idea to change the bushings and seals. The bushings wear out a lot faster than most people realize.

You could do a homemade tool on the fork spring holder, but I think someone has one on eBay for around $15.

You can buy some of the tools, then just resell them after your one use??

A 14 mm hex bit socket is handy, especially if you torque it back to the correct torque value.

You may want to try to do the buy, then resell thing on the cartridge holder. I made a homemade one in the past. It took a long time!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

01 KX500 FORKS

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

Ahhhhh thanks for the help! The Motion Pro seal bullet isn't much and I did find a cartridge holder on ebay that isn't too bad and has good reviews so I'll go that route. I'm looking forward to this conversion! Thanks!
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

seal bullet or seal driver??

as far as a seal bullet, I own the whole Motion Pro bullet set, and I can easily see where a plastic bag with fork oil on it is just about as good.
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

Oh yea.... I thought that was the driver. I remember watching a video now where it was just used to slide the seal on. Gotcha. So a driver.. I wanna try to avoid spending money as much as I can. I saw someone use a pvc pipe cut in half that had the inner diameter the same as the fork diameter. But I might just go ahead and get the 46mm motion pro tool for 40 bucks. All the reviews say its worth it..
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You might want too try the PVC. It is definitely cheaper.
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

01 KX500 FORKS

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

Yea I guess I should try the pvc first. If it works, cool. If not, I'll get the tool. And I'll prolly just use the plastic bag with some oil for the seals to save some more money. Thanks guys and anything other tips is certainly helpful.
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
Bobino Battleax

Post by Bobino Battleax »

can you post a pic of those forks? I just bought a 95 with kyb forks from a different bike and can't identify where they came from, which makes replacing the rotor and brakes difficult... The guy I bought it from thinks they are from a 2k cr125, but I think those were showa not kyb... maybe we havea match?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post a picture of yours?
sarrant

01 KX500 FORKS

Post by sarrant »

Bobino Battleax wrote:can you post a pic of those forks? I just bought a 95 with kyb forks from a different bike and can't identify where they came from, which makes replacing the rotor and brakes difficult... The guy I bought it from thinks they are from a 2k cr125, but I think those were showa not kyb... maybe we havea match?
CR250s had Showa most years, but CR125s had KYB from the mid 90s onward.

Agree that without a picture, we have nowhere to even start guessing
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

01 KX500 FORKS

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

I haven't donated to the site YET to get the permissions to attach pictures so I can't help you on that one yet...

And another question about my forks..
I tried to look up how to tell the difference between open cartridge and closed cartridge/twin chamber forks. (I believe I'm learning these terms correctly, please correct me if not)
I saw somewhere that most motocross bikes (like these kx500 donor forks) are twin chamber forks and you could tell the difference by looking at the top and if the fork cap was two separate pieces that could unscrewed separately then you'd know it was twin chamber. But mine looks different on top than the new ones in the YouTube tutorial videos. It has about an 18mm or so size nut on top to unscrew. I don't see an inner or outer nut. It doesn't have the big nut, like the one that would need a fork cap wrench, on top of it.
I'm watching YouTube videos showing how to service forks and they're specific to which type you have. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I open up these forks and get lost. So, could anyone confirm these 01 KX500 forks are twin chamber forks? Or explain a way that I could tell a difference before I open them up?
Thanks everybody.

PS: I'm looking into getting an 01 KDX220 this weekend (it says it already has a wiseco piston in it, not the crappy original too), and I'm pretty excited about it. And I just want to say this site has been one of the most helpful resources in rebuilding my 86 KDX200 and I look forward to bugging you guys with more questions in the future! haha :supz:
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You can host your pictures on another site and link to them so they are shown here.

KX500 forks are not twin chamber. They are open cartridge. The first Kawasaki forks that were twin chamber are the 2005 KX250 forks.

Look on Race Tech's site for their old video. He is working on a set of 1993 Honda CR250R forks. It will show you some tips. Those might be on Youtube, also.
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

01 KX500 FORKS

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

Awesome! I've read that open cartridge forks are easier to maintain, and I'm a beginner so that's in my favor! Ha. Perfect I'll study up on open cartridge forks then! Thanks!
Dear Kawasaki,
Sincerely, Everyone
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are welcome. Look around the internet and you will find some helpful videos and tips on working on them.