Fork conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Dirtrider

Fork conversion

Post by Dirtrider »

Hi guys I'm new to all this forum stuff but I'll give it a try.
My dad has a 2003 kdx 200 that I'm starting to like. Its completely stock besides a fmf pipe and silencer. The bike has been lowered and I am pretty sure the seat has been shaved. I really want to do a front end swap, and was looking into a kx500 swap because it looks the easiest. Am I correct, or is there an easier one?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fork conversion

Post by SS109 »

Yes, the KX500 front end is the easiest swap. However, if the bike has been lowered in the rear, the stock KX500 forks will create a chopper out of your KDX. So, you would either need to have the forks shortened (which some believe is necessary to begin with) or you will need to go back to stock ride height in the rear.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork conversion

Post by bultaco4ever »

I see a lot of fork conversion threads....why? What was considered inferior and what was considered better?
Dirtrider

Re: Fork conversion

Post by Dirtrider »

Thanks Im 15 years old and pretty good with tools so Im probobly gonna do the kx500 swap. Does any one know what years? Looks like 1990 and up triples will work. Is this true?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Don't get 1990 if your weight is not correct for the stock springs. No normal priced springs to be had.

Hard to find springs for several years of the '90's now, as well, unfortunately.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dirtrider

Post by Dirtrider »

So what years should I use / look for?
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fork conversion

Post by Sullyfam »

If you search the forum here you will find answers to all your questions and then some. May want to read up and then if you are confused or need guidance on something please ask away.

On the 9th post down on this fork conversion topic is a great recap of the whole process. It's for swapping a 125 front end which may be better for you given the springs will be closer to what you need, but the process is the same.

KX fork conversion recap?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Here is the most succinct answer as to what year...
Julien D wrote:Knowing what year your bike is would help, first. Look for the latest year KX forks you can find. Any year KX500 front end is a straight bolt on. KX125/250 will require a stem swap. The KDX axle and wheel will not work in most cases without machine work to the axle. The brake caliper will be usable in most cases, assuming you have a 93+ KDX. It's always best to source a complete front end, triples, forks, axle, and wheel.

Pretty much all the information you could possibly need is in this section of the forum. Take a look around and if you have specific questions, feel free to post them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk