best fork conversion for 01 kdx 200

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
mrmojorisin

best fork conversion for 01 kdx 200

Post by mrmojorisin »

I run a lot of hare scrambles and the stock forks have gotten me in a bad way more than once in the deep mud ruts. Not that I'm an A rider but this boarder line B rider can use all the help he can get. I really love my KDX . Plus I feel like I'm at a classic car show waiting on the line , people enjoy checking the ole girl out lol. What is the best solution on converting to new style forks and does it really help?

:supz:
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: best fork conversion for 01 kdx 200

Post by jjavaman »

Klx 300 forks/triples are a bolt on but there is no rebound damping adjustment, just compression(might be the other way around). I think I read on here that KX mx forks are the ticket if you do the machining,etc that needs to be done. There is a ton of info in the fork section. Have you done the shim stack mod on the stockers? That does wonders!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The newest forks that you can afford! (generally 04 and newer).
I put RM250 Showas on my 95. You'll want the whole front end, including the wheel to do a conversion.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is your main concern the overhang of the conventional forks? If so, read up on the KLX300 conversion.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I put 94 KX500 forks on my last KDX. I'm not 100% on this, but from some point in the 90's and up, the KX500 front end is a direct bolt on to the KDX H-series bikes. I just took my old forks off, got new KDX200 stem bearings, and put the KX500 front end right on. No special mods were needed. The only thing I had to do was make a tab on the fork guard for the front brake line clamp.

Here is the thread I made when I was putting mine together. the bottom of page 2 shows the final mount on the fork guard:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... t=94+KX500
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Hi there doing the conversion to my 98 kdx 200 this winter. When you did yours with 94 kx 500 front end was it a complete straight bolt on? Also was there a lot of geometry changes?if I understand correctly the kx forks are taller and stick up a bit through the clamps wich is fine for me I'm tall and have always used bar risers. Thanks and have a great day.
mrmojorisin

Post by mrmojorisin »

I once had a search saved on Ebay. I found someone was selling inverted forks and triple trees already made up for kdx. But now I cant seem to find the. Has anyone else seen these?