Are these 95 KX forks, and what changes should I make?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Picked up our second KDX today! Its a 97, and the PO said he got these 95 KX forks and put them on, but he didn't change anything on them at all. The seals are leaking, so I am going to have a friend of mine who owns a bike shop tear em apart, and put new seals in them, change the oil, and what other changes do you guys recommend? Do these forks have bladders? I am 5'-9". and weigh around 175 lbs with gear. I want to lower it. I will put Koaba 3 links on the back (already have them). I will only ride tight woods trails, and play around on it, with the occasional enduro. NO jumping or MX at all... ever. I prefer a soft plush ride!

Here is a pic with measurements of the tube and the body.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonknepp/shares/0S1L9K

Thanks for any and all input!
19Delta
Supporting Member

Re: Are these 95 KX forks, and what changes should I make?

Post by 19Delta »

I know I am captain obvious here, but I assume they have been revalved at some point by Pro-action. But maybe for MX? The suspension feels very "slow" to me. But I really only have my trials motorcycle to compare it to.

Link to pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonknepp/shares/xw9fJa
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

Anyone would be guessing with respect to how those forks are currently set up. Try a motion pro seal mate to see if you can get them to seal, even if it's just tempoary, set the oil level, and then Suggest you start by seeing what you have, get your gear on and measure the static and race sag and see if you can get it right for your weight by playing with the preload. Then you'll know if it's sprung for your weight and riding style/preference. With that out of the way, ride it and play with rebound and compression adjusters. Try starting with the comp all the way out (soft) and rebound somewhere in the middle. If you have the sag set right and the comp full soft, and you still find it too harsh, then a revalve/spring change would be in order. Nice bike btw
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If the inner tubes are 43mm and they are from a KX, then they are 1994 or 1995. I see nothing obvious to say they are not 1995.

Internally, 1995 KX125 / KX250 came with a mid-valve. 1994 did not.

Pro Action may have only changed the oil, or they could have swapped in their valves. No way to know without opening them up and checking.

As far as modifications go, some correct fork guards and a better front brake hose setup would be nice. I assume the bushings are toast, as well as the damper rod bushing inside the seal head. Old forks from eBay and such are used and abused.

It would be rare for the forks to be valved for woods riding instead of MX. Good luck on that.

Like bushx said, (and assuming the springs are correct for you and your riding), if it is too harsh when riding it with the compression adjuster on full soft, then a revalve is a must.

I would also say, check the rebound piston bands for wear as well.

It is 2016, so those forks are 21 years old. Even 2006 forks are 10 years old, so be advised that the wear parts in most used forks from eBay or elsewhere really need a thorough inspection of parts.

Also, read up on how the travel an be limited on the forks. That will get the geometry back into how a KDX normally sets.

Good luck.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

bushx wrote:
play with the preload...

play with rebound and compression adjusters. Try starting with the comp all the way out (soft) and rebound somewhere in the middle...
Ok, thanks. How do I do that?
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bushx »

You'll have to find a manual for the bike the forks came off, or maybe someone else will chime in, as I'm not familiar with the specifics of those.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Preload is adjusted by the washers under or above the springs. There is no external adjustment. I would just go for very little preload and the correct springs.

The adjuster on the bottom is for compression. VERY LIGHTLY!!!! turn it counter clockwise until it VERY GENTLY stops turning.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128