90% complete

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
layoutd

90% complete

Post by layoutd »

enough to try it out, no headlight, etc. but together and riding. not enough trails around to give it a good try, but i did notice that the front end seemed a lot lighter. it was more prone to come up and easier to make come up. i am guessing that is due to less weight at the axles. got watch the way i ride until i get used to it.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sprung vs. unsprung weight.... makes a difference. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Is it also due to the front being pitched a bit higher???
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Is it also due to the front being pitched a bit higher???
That would make sense, it is harder to wheelie going down hill :rolleyes: .
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I thought most people took that "pitch" out by spacing the top clamp up so the forks could be slid up higher in the clamps?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Did you happen to measure your 'before' setup to help with getting the 'after' setup in the same neighborhood?

Mentioned before...but I like it..so I'll repeat it.

Figuring the height of the bike by measuring axle-to-clamp does have some problems between the KX and the KDX frontend. I don't think that's a very meaningful way to get the job done.

I set a level on my bike before I started..marked the spot on the seat (or tank..same) where the level needed to be set to read 'level'. I setup my KX frontend to 'read' the same.

re: Sprung vs: unsprung

Yep. It does make a big difference. I do wonder if that ends up a positive or negative in the case of a fork swap. The inner tube (either fork type) I'll bet is heavier than the outer tube.

I have nothing to base that on..even though the inners are smaller dimensionally speaking, I think they would be heavier.

Still..your frontend seems lighter because it's taller, I'll bet. Not usually a good thing on any uphill.... :wink:

I've often found it farily easy to 'wheelie' going downhill. Well...if you want to apply that term to the rear wheel coming up! (going over?) :wink: Maybe that's a 'stoppie'.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i did not measure the before and after height, probably should have, but didn't. i have the spacer under the triple clamp and measured 7/8" from the top of the clamp to the top of the fork. the bike feels the same when sitting, not that i would probably notice, only been riding a motorcycle since may '04, kinda like it light up front. i did a little hill behind the house and did notice that i needed to sit up farther on the seat, but i attributed that to being lazy and not getting up on the pegs good. maybe i will leave it like this for a bit to encourage me to stay up on the pegs and more forward on the uphills. a recent enduro i did, first as well, i noticed that i was holding on with my navel entirely too much. i'll ride like this for a while and force myself into better form. not sure that i could go much further up on the fork anyway.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Which brake caliper did you end up using with your conversion?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

IF you used a spacer...and IF you're 7/8" up past THAT...you should be right close to a 'correct' attitude.

Well, that's close to my setup..and I'm level.

Maybe your bike just runs great and hooks up better!

Heck...may as well think on the positive side.

Let us know how you like it after summore riding..........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:re: Sprung vs: unsprung

Yep. It does make a big difference. I do wonder if that ends up a positive or negative in the case of a fork swap. The inner tube (either fork type) I'll bet is heavier than the outer tube.
CC... you think the inner tubes are heavier than the cast aluminum receivers? I don't think so and that is what is being sprung besides the internals. I'm pretty sure the KX forks sprung weight would be much less.....

I thought this is one of the reasons that the switch to USD's was done.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "