Identifying kx forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Identifying kx forks

Post by Friedom »

So I'm working into my front end swap on my 92 200. Have a rm250 front end with 49mm Showas just about ready to go.
But when I was cleaning up the "custom" paint job on the plastics, I noticed that a PO had a "K" sticker and an "X" sticker, with no indication that there was a "D" in the middle. Suddenly I'm wondering if I already have KX forks?

How do I identify them if I do?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Identifying kx forks

Post by Tedh98 »

Have any pictures of the forks?
sarrant

Identifying kx forks

Post by sarrant »

Conventionals?

Really, there's only two years of KX conventionals that somebody would take the effort to swap onto a '92 KDX. Prior to '88 all KX forks were similar (or inferior) to the conventionals used on E-Series KDX. So those aren't a likely swap.

The '88 cartridge KYB KX forks are somewhat similar to the later H-series KDX forks and represent an improvement in tunability and high-velocity valving over the '89-92 KDX damping rod forks. The '89 KX 46mm conventionals are a more advanced fully adjustable design and often considered (along with the RM front end you have) as some of the most-favored conventional forks ever put on a dirt bike.

Any KX forks would be easy to visually differentiate from E-Series conventionals, as the MX forks have a clamp-on axle type instead of the pull-through (quick change) type that the KDXs came with.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Identifying kx forks

Post by Friedom »

That tells me enough, thanks.
I should have posted a pic with my question, but camera is on the fritz.
I noticed that there is no rebound damping adjuster on the forks it came with and assumed stock from there. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk