Fork Swap: 96 rm250 or 96 kx250?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Soooooo I've got a 96 rm250 front end on the way. Triples, forks, wheel, tire, spacers, axle, caliper. A little under $300 shipped.

I also need to get a kick start lever/boss. Looks like it's hard to do under $100.

There's a 96 kx250 complete for sale locally for 750. Not running, needs a stator. USD forks. I could easily use the whole front end, kick starter, and anything else that might swap over, and part out the rest (blasphemy!) And come out pretty good. Have to find a new home for the rm front end, but that could go on my dr350 or get sold again.

So which is preferable? 96 RM250 conventional or 96 KX250 USD? Price, ease of swap, and quality of ride are my considerations.

Are the KX forks dual circuit?

Joy to the world!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fork Swap: 96 rm250 or 96 kx250?

Post by 6 Riders »

For me the RM forks would be preferable. Swap is going to be the same, or close....Stem press, upper ring thingy for the top triple and steering stops.
If you can pick up the KX for $500, it would be worth parting, IF...IF you have the time and desire. For $750 it's too much.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I have a '96 RM125 front end on my KDX and I love it. The RM125 and 250 forms were very similar I believe. Maybe just different valving. Same basic forks, though (49mm Showa conventionals). They were reputed to be some of the best forks of the era and a good ways ahead of a lot of the other offerings. I don't know much about the '96 Kawasaki forks but I'd be willing to bet the RM forks are better.
The RM Showas were especially popular with woods riders I guess. This is another big plus for me since I'm a woods rider. If I were you I'd go with the Showas.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I ran '96 KX125 forks on my E-series. They are 46mm KYB's and are cartridge forks. Personally, I thought they worked really well after having them revalved. Comprared to my '06 Showas? The Showas are way better but also 10 years newer. Since you already have the RM forks on the way I would just go with them. Seems a lot of people on various forums really loved the RM forks.

What part are you needing for your kichstarter? I still have the bottom end from my old E and might be able to help you out.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Uh, the whole thing. I currently have what looks like a one off piece of welded steel that doesn't fold away.

Joy to the world!
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:For me the RM forks would be preferable. Swap is going to be the same, or close....Stem press, upper ring thingy for the top triple and steering stops.
If you can pick up the KX for $500, it would be worth parting, IF...IF you have the time and desire. For $750 it's too much.
Part of the point of this idea of parting it is to use $400 in parts off it and still have the frame, engine, rear end, carb, rads etc to sell. Wouldn't take long to make $350 there.
It does take time, though, and the "look" I get when I being home another bike..
Sounds like the RM Showas are mo better and less work in my shoes. I'll stick with them unless someone else can point out some glaring benefit to the KX. I don't like sacrificing a decently good bike, anyways.
Thanks for ask the timely responses. I can disengage Craigslist hunt mode for now.

Joy to the world!
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Forks, triples, wheel and axle are here. Caliper en route too! I kind of want to pick up an extra steering stem to press into the rm setup so I can have two complete plug n play setups and compare stock to these behemoth forks.

Joy to the world!
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

TheRadBaron wrote:I have a '96 RM125 front end on my KDX and I love it. The RM125 and 250 forms were very similar I believe. Maybe just different valving. Same basic forks, though (49mm Showa conventionals). They were reputed to be some of the best forks of the era and a good ways ahead of a lot of the other offerings. I don't know much about the '96 Kawasaki forks but I'd be willing to bet the RM forks are better.
The RM Showas were especially popular with woods riders I guess. This is another big plus for me since I'm a woods rider. If I were you I'd go with the Showas.
I checked with RB designs about doing this swap, and he said he's not familiar with putting rm forks on and not sure how they would match up.
Do you have any more detail on how you did it?