Another I'm on my way post...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Another I'm on my way post...

Post by m0rie »

Well I won an auction for some forks this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... IBSA:MT:11

Any way to tell what year they are? I caught them with 20 minutes to go so I didn't have a chance to ask any questions. They look like 46mm forks to me though. Any ideas?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

for $45 it doesn't matter, just have em serviced and go. i do not think that the size of the forks changed until sometime in the 03-04 range, so they should fit most any of the triple trees.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good deal! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

mOrie-I've got 97 Triple Clamps. You interested??
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Another Steal! :supz:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

94 and 95 forks are 43mm KYB's. 96-02 are 46mm KYB's.

GH - Depending on what year the forks turn out to be i'm certainly interested in those triple clamps.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I just looked at one of the sellers other auctions and it looks like the rest of the parts are from a 94 KX250. I'll have to verify that when I get the forks though.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

If they are a 97- 98 they will work, came off a 97KX
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

More than likely they are 94's... like my 95's and are 43mm. Nothing wrong with them just need the specific clamps that's all. Are you going to try to use your rim or find a 94-95 rim? Let me know what you will be looking for and I will keep my eye out for ya....

Looks like we will be comparing notes Maurice! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If i can find a bearing that will fit into my existing hub and handle the KX axle i'll give my KDX wheel a try. Otherwise i'll be looking for a KX front wheel and axle.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Shipping cost more than the forks?

Sheesh....

Should leave you room to manuever for a set of GoldValves, complete rebuild and springs to suit!!

re: '..bearing that will fit (KDX) ...and handle the KX axle..'

Such a bearing exists? Not that I've heard of. It would be of very weird measurements and very little rollers.

Then there are the dust seals to figure in..........

By the time you get done messing with manufacturing the spacers (if you don't machine your own) and the rest of it, I think a bolt on KX wheel would be the better route.

That and being able to keep the KDX stuff KDX. That either gives you something to go back to, swap back in if you pick up a newer KDX and want to KEEP your KX forks or flat out sell as a cost offset.

Please do post what you find out on that deal.

Good find, m0rie!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'm going to start with the complete rebuild part and work from there. A KX wheel does sound like the better option but i'm still going to check for bearings and seals. Maybe this will be the magic combo that works? :wink:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Morie, how does the KDX wheel fit between the KX forks? Is it pretty close?
does it lok like it will need spacers to center the wheel and if so , probably spacers to bump the caliper out the same distance?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Phil - I'll let you know this weekend how it fits this weekend. My bike is down at our workshop and not with me (unfortunately).
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

I put '94 KX forks on my '95 KDX. When I did, I machined a new axle and axle nut to fit the stock KDX wheel to the KX forks. I reused the KDX wheel spacers (including the odo drive housing). It was really a simple project (because I had access to a machine shop). If you're wondering, I used 4340 for the axle and 1018 for the axle nut.

The new axle allowed me to keep the stock KDX wheel, and would allow the use of the stock KDX trip meter if so desired. A new axle is a viable option - though possibly a relatively expensive one if you don't have access to a machine shop. I suppose it took me between 4 and 6 hours in short intervals between classes in college to do all the work. A real machinist could do it faster, I'm sure.
Keep It Simple Stupid
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Lutz - Thanks for the info. Making a new axle is an option but I don't have access (or the skills) to a machine shop unfortunately. Do you have any pictures or other information about your conversion? Did you have to knurl the stem or was it a press fit? What was your impression of your KX forks? Have you done any modifications to them? Are you running the stock springs and oil weight?

Thanks,

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'd sure rather have used my KDX wheel.

Lutz: How did you handle the odo drive anti-rotation tab? It's not on the KX forks. Well..to tell the truth, I didn't look for it, but I don't know why it would BE there.

I'll get a computer for my bike someday..but a plain mechanical odo would be fine with me.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

OK, here's a quick run through of the questions:

1) I don't have any pictures or other written information here (meaning where I live)...all of my info is with my bike, about two hours south of here. I will make an attempt this weekend to get some pictures and measurements of parts - but no guarantees (I'll be pretty busy with multiple-family-multiple-location-holiday-activities).

2) The stem from the '94 KX125 was a very nice, tight press fit into the '95 KDX lower clamp. I ended up using some shim stock where the stem slips into the upper clamp to take up the slop. I also used two flat washers below the upper clamp give enough thread on the stem to get the nut tight.

3) I love the KX forks, they truly and honestly made a huge improvement over the KDX forks everywhere (my KDX forks were stock other than heavier springs). True there are much stiffer, but overall, they have better damping action, and actually hold up the ride height. They balance the stock rear shock very well - both ends are probably stiffer than I need, but they are very well balanced. As to what has been done to the KX forks...I think they are stock...I bought them on ebay, I've never even pulled the caps...they didn't leak and appeared to be in good condition, and I was a poor college student with little to zero time to work on the bike...long story short, I was happy enough with their performance to get me by, and they never forced me to take them apart by springing a leak. Something about if it ain't broke, don't fix it. To be honest, I didn't even get ANY time to ride the bike this past year other than short tears around my buddy's back field. Until now...I'm finally getting settled into good job with a stable income, so I plan to tear the bike down to nothing this winter for a full rebuild.

4) Regarding the odo housing anti-rotation tab on the forks...I didn't do anything. It seems just by tightening the axle nut, it should hold the odo housing in place just fine. I say should because my odo broke long before I did the conversion, so I gutted it and use the housing only because it holds the bearing seal on that side of the wheel. I'm pretty sure the main reason that tab is there is just so the odo drive housing won't spin when the front end is being assembled.

Some other notes on my conversion. I used all the stock KDX brake parts, including the clamp from the bottom of the upper fork tube (this is now mounted to the lower fork guard on the KX forks). I had to (well, I chose to) weld a wider stop onto the frame to keep the KX forks from hitting the frame at full lock. I'll take pictures and do a write up, hopefully this weekend, which will explain what I did in much better detail.

Whew...that wasn't very quick was it?
Keep It Simple Stupid
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

I thought of a few other things that are worth mentioning.

The axle I built is a good bit heavier than the stock KDX axle, but I didn't drill it out. It could be lighter with some drilling into the ends.

I have a complete set of triple clamps and stem off of a 1994 or 1995 KX500 (can't recall off hand which year). Whatever year they are, the KX500 of that year also used 43mm inverted forks, though they where an older style than the 43mm inverted forks on the '94 KX125. I don't know how different they really are externally. I do know they use the same bushings internally. The KX500 of interest used those blue anodized upper tube forks (like previous generations of KX125 & 250, as well as some KDX years), where my '94 KX125 upper fork tubes are a plain gold-ish color. Anyway, my goal is to A) use the top/bottom/complete KX500 triple clamps if they will fit my forks, or B) use the KX500 stem only, to save weight over the KDX stem.

If the complete KX500 triple clamps will work on my forks, there are a bunch of advantages: rubber mounted bars (KX125 are solid mounts), lightweight aluminum stem, and no need to used shim stock between stem and top clamp. The result would be a virtual bolt-on installation of 43mm inverted forks to the KDX. I'll let you know if it all fits together.

Perhaps none of you had thought of this, but if nothing else, you could use an aluminum KX500 stem for your conversions to save a bunch of weight. Remember, the KX500 uses the same bearings as the KDX.
:mrgreen:
Keep It Simple Stupid
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

"The axle I built is a good bit heavier than the stock KDX axle, but I didn't drill it out. It could be lighter with some drilling into the ends."

Excellent Lutz, In my opinion it is better to go solid, compensate for the strength lost in the size difference between the KDX and the KX axels.

I am impatiently waiting the arrival of my 98' KX forks. I compared the length of a 99' KX Axel and a 05 KDX Axel (between spacers and Odo, and approximate position of nut, becasue it is disassembled) and they appear to be the same length. When my Forks and TT arrive, I can confirm if this year will fit using the stock wheel.

I wonder if the KX500 Stem fits the newer years KX TT's wihtout knurling?

Good info Lutz.