KX vs KLX forks..... differences?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Alright so I've been thinking about doing a fork swap here at some point..... was poking around on ebay and found a guy down in FL that parts out bikes..... he's got a handful of KDX's that he's parting out, and one of them already happens to have an inverted fork swap done on it (it was a 2003 200). I messaged him asking him if he knew what the forks came off of, or if there was a part number..... he said they came off a 2000 KX-125. He said he'd cut me a discount on both parts and shipping if I got the forks, triple clamps, axle, and wheel (I'm wanting a 2nd wheel anyways). So what I'm wondering..... is there any real functional difference between the KLX and the KX forks? Other than maybe different valving? Would I be better off holding off for some KLX forks instead? I don't do any MX, just trail and street/dual sport. These KX forks would be a simple bolt in as they already came off another KDX, but I don't want something that's gonna beat me to death on the trails either

Thoughts??

This is the listing for the KX forks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131659704147?it ... 23&vxp=mtr
Last edited by thirdgenlxi on 03:13 pm Dec 15 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KX vs KLX forks..... differences?

Post by ecojbr »

Also judging by the pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork they would be from an older kx
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

1998 or older.

Do the 1994 - 1998 have the flat spot for the fork guard??

I am almost wanting to say this is 1990 - 1993, though they look gold, not silver for 1990 or blue for 1991 - 1993.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

1998 or older.

Do the 1994 - 1998 have the flat spot for the fork guard??

I am almost wanting to say this is 1990 - 1993, though they look gold, not silver for 1990 or blue for 1991 - 1993.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Hmmmmm looks like you guys are correct...... after looking again and looking up some others, they're definitley mid-ish 90's. Which I guess would still be fine if they're still in good shape

But back to the question at hand...... I don't want to beat myself to death in the woods, soooo..... should I keep an eye out for some KLX forks instead? Or can you make the MX forks good in the woods with some valving and tweaking??
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You can make them good for the woods. Those, since they are off of a KDX, might already be set up for woods, but you can't tell just by looking at them.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type