Full Showa USD fork/RM125 shock conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Full Showa conversion

Post by SS109 »

Friedom wrote:Another note - rmz has different forks, right? There's a set here locally from an 03 for 130$.
Tucson, right? Yeah, been eyeing those forks. They would be awesome for a conversion. I would offer him $100 if they appear in decent shape. Just need to find a wheel, axle, and caliper to work with them.

As for the rear shock, Don over at ZR1 charged me $300 for the shock, correct spring, and revalve. Just make sure you tell him what you're doing/wanting so he will either use the shorter clevis or shorten it internally.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Full Showa conversion

Post by osobad »

you should be able to do the 97-99 Rm fork for the same money and it will be a better fork IMO. Even some KTM guys were using this fork to fix handling issues, You wheel need a wheel , axle and spacers for that fork . You can use your same caliper.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

According to my suspension guy; 96-99 RM conventional or 04 and newer Showa forks are the best bet. You can find the 04 forks on more than just RMs, Honda has a nice set on the 250R.
If you go with the conventional fork, having them lowered won't be as necessary as it is with USDs.

My 95 Showas ran $350 for springs, revalve, some custom machining, bleed valves drilled tapped and mounted, parts and lowering .75" (cash price).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

osobad wrote:you should be able to do the 97-99 Rm fork for the same money and it will be a better fork IMO. Even some KTM guys were using this fork to fix handling issues, You wheel need a wheel , axle and spacers for that fork . You can use your same caliper.
Do I need the rm triples?

Joy to the world!
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Full Showa conversion

Post by osobad »

IMO the earlier RM forks make a better trail fork. Thet are only conventional in that they are not upside down but they are twin chamber like the new ones. I was told that they add just a slight bit more flex to make them more forgiving. The newer forks are probably better for the really fast motorcross rider doing 90 ft triples and yees you need the RM triples
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

osobad wrote:IMO the earlier RM forks make a better trail fork. Thet are only conventional in that they are not upside down but they are twin chamber like the new ones. I was told that they add just a slight bit more flex to make them more forgiving. The newer forks are probably better for the really fast motorcross rider doing 90 ft triples and yees you need the RM triples
I'm looking for a good setup for trail riding that will be updated with my ported polished piped kdx200.
Something like these?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/1996-rm-250-front ... nav=SEARCH

And furthermore, anyone know how to identify? This would be really handy if the wheel and stuff are compatible, or if it's the correct year forks.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RM125-RM-125-RM25 ... nav=SEARCH

Joy to the world!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yeah, like that. You'll need a wheel, axle, spacers and front brake as well.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:Yeah, like that. You'll need a wheel, axle, spacers and front brake as well.
I thought osobad said you can use existing caliper..

The second link I posted is for a whole front end - forks, caliper, axle, wheel. But from an unknown year.

Joy to the world!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Friedom wrote:
6 Riders wrote:Yeah, like that. You'll need a wheel, axle, spacers and front brake as well.

The second link I posted is for a whole front end - forks, caliper, axle, wheel. But from an unknown year.

Joy to the world!
Caliper may work, I don't know....
2nd link is no good, those are vintage.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:
Friedom wrote:

Joy to the world!
Caliper may work, I don't know....
2nd link is no good, those are vintage.
Thank you. Does the axle and wheel have to be from the same years - 96-99 rm250? Any chance of just putting in correct size bearings for the kdx and running stock axle/wheel/brakes?

Joy to the world!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Friedom wrote: Thank you. Does the axle and wheel have to be from the same years - 96-99 rm250? Any chance of just putting in correct size bearings for the kdx and running stock axle/wheel/brakes?

Joy to the world!
Yes on the axle and spacers, wheel might cross from other years....might even consider new spacers just because..
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I'm sure all my questions here have already been answered in the great interwebs, so thank you for helping me consolidate the info into one place.
What about if I get a nice rim, like an excel - what specs do I look for? Axle diameter? Rotor?

Joy to the world!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Stock hub for the forks and a stock size rim, re-lace....Don't forget to budget in bearings (for the stem and wheels) and, possibly, a new fender.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Full Showa conversion

Post by SS109 »

Man, my thread has been hijacked. :shock:

The upside down forks work for any type of rider if sprung and valved correctly. Otherwise, KTM, Beta, Gas Gas, Yamaha, and Husqvarna wouldn't be using them on their off road models. I don't do 90ft triples and I'm not about wide open Baja type riding either. Only singletrack and a lot of technical hike-a-bike type stuff. Yeah, I'm a pretty fast B rider/racer but no where near Jarvis or Walker kind of speed. I like the upside down forks precisely because they have less flex. We already have enough flex with our steel frames that we don't need more with our forks. IME, when moving at speed the USD's just handle corner whoops and trail junk better because of less flex. Plus, if you encounter that sneaky g-out or that tire swallowing rut, they again seam to handle it better than conventionals. Now, that is all IMO/IME but that's how I see it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:Man, my thread has been hijacked. :shock:

The upside down forks work for any type of rider if sprung and valved correctly. Otherwise, KTM, Beta, Gas Gas, Yamaha, and Husqvarna wouldn't be using them on their off road models. I don't do 90ft triples and I'm not about wide open Baja type riding either. Only singletrack and a lot of technical hike-a-bike type stuff. Yeah, I'm a pretty fast B rider/racer but no where near Jarvis or Walker kind of speed. I like the upside down forks precisely because they have less flex. We already have enough flex with our steel frames that we don't need more with our forks. IME, when moving at speed the USD's just handle corner whoops and trail junk better because of less flex. Plus, if you encounter that sneaky g-out or that tire swallowing rut, they again seam to handle it better than conventionals. Now, that is all IMO/IME but that's how I see it.
You've created something that has grown into more than you imagined!
But we are kinda still on topic, right? Or are the Showas USD? I'm still very much learning about all this. My dr350 was the fanciest thing I'd ever rode when I got it 2 years ago.

Joy to the world!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Friedom wrote:You've created something that has grown into more than you imagined!
But we are kinda still on topic, right? Or are the Showas USD? I'm still very much learning about all this. My dr350 was the fanciest thing I'd ever rode when I got it 2 years ago.
LOL! Yeah, as long as the discussion works to get people to upgrade their suspension, and realize just how much more the KDX can do with good suspension (stock is early 80's tech!), I'm all for it!

Both forks, the Suzuki 'RM125 conventionals being talked about and the USD '06 KF250f forks I used are Showas. If you ever want to try mine out just let me know!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:
Friedom wrote:You've created something that has grown into more than you imagined!
LOL! Yeah, as long as the discussion works to get people to upgrade their suspension, and realize just how much more the KDX can do with good suspension (stock is early 80's tech!), I'm all for it!

Both forks, the Suzuki 'RM125 conventionals being talked about and the USD '06 KF250f forks I used are Showas. If you ever want to try mine out just let me know!
Man that would be awesome. Where do you ride? Do you still have the 90 kdx200? I'd love to feel some preview of the bike that I'm dumping all this money into just going on what I've read.

Hey you guys wanna hear a joke?

"Once I'm done fixing it up, I could always sell it and get my money back if I don't like it. "

Joy to the world!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Friedom wrote:Man that would be awesome. Where do you ride? Do you still have the 90 kdx200? I'd love to feel some preview of the bike that I'm dumping all this money into just going on what I've read.
I ride Marana almost every weekend and I will probably be there this Sunday. This New Years day my club will be hosting a ride in San Manuel and Tiger Mine. I'll be doing the San Manuel ride. Non-members are welcome to join us! I post rides regularly on Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/Tucson-Dirt-Bike- ... rs-Meetup/) if you ever want to hook up and ride. BTW, my name is Kelly so you can tell when I'm riding.

Sadly, the '90 has been parted out for the most part. My sub-valves were toast and no one was making them at the time. So, I parted it out to fund another bike, my '05 Gas Gas EC250 which later was stolen. Some of the parts are in France on another member's bike and some have found their way onto my '98 220. About your joke, I lost a ton of money on my '90 but, oh well, I loved building it and riding it!

You can't go wrong with better suspension on the '95+ KDX's. I can honestly say that I think it handles as good or better, and is actually way more plush, than my Gas Gas with Zoke/Ohlins suspension. Come out any time and I'll let you take it for a spin.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Full Showa conversion

Post by SS109 »

Did this post separately since it's not part of the "other" discussion. :mrgreen:

I've had a heck of a time getting my damper mounted. Scotts sent me the wrong bar clamp after I gave them the measurements they asked for. I called and they said I have to use their bar mounts and need a longer tower pin. Wish I had known that as I wouldn't have bought the Tusk mounts. So, $138 later and $35 wasted on the Tusk mounts, and promises that this will make it right, I receive my new mounts, bar clamp, and longer pin.

Go to mount the new parts and the brand new Tusk mounts won't loosen. No clue why but the nuts would not let loose. Put a breaker bar on them and the D shaped bolt heads actually rotated inside the bar mount. Ended up having to cut them off. Ugh. I like a lot of Tusk products but this one, along with their break pads, I do NOT recommend.

After getting the mounts off, finally, I mounted up the new parts. Guess what? The alignment if off. The damper is too close to the rider so the pin won't go in to the damper arm. UGH!!! :evil: Call up Scotts, again. They apologize and send me two sets of bar mounts to make sure I get the right one this time. Thankfully, they sent the new parts out at no charge and told me to just keep the other two sets. They should be here Thursday. We'll see what happens.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:
Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent.
Alright, I guess you can post on your own thread some more..

I'm actually a member of that meetup group already I think, and went on a Reddington ride this year. Was late to the party, though, and with two other late comers we did some single track, went down to frog hollow, waited around and finally passed the group in the Italian springs/trap area on our way back.

So you're saying the H series KDX machines have significant suspension improvements over the E series from the factory? I guess I'll never know if yours has USD showas and mine will have conventional dual stage showas. I really should read up on this stuff so I know what on earth in talking about.

I used to ride the PowerLine roads north of Tangerine with a buddy. IT250K and a TDub 200. Learned a whole lot real quick trying to keep up with my friend that practised on his brother's cr500. But I live near Reddington now, yet don't get out much. Hopefully the kdx will improve my experience when I do make it out.

Joy to the world!