96 kx caliper vs 98 kdx caliper

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
layoutd

96 kx caliper vs 98 kdx caliper

Post by layoutd »

Top View

side view

The KDX caliper is on the left and the kx is on the right. it appears that they did some upgrading between the two. they are exactly the same in size and form, but the newer kdx on appears to have more of the surface area stuff on designed to help cool the brake, or so it would appear. there is a stamp on the top of each with a letter that appears to represent the year.

all in all, i believe that i am going to use the kdx caliper with the kx line. seems like the better caliper, however, currently not the cleanest.

just thought i would post this for any to see.

i will probably try and take more pics from the swap that were not taken by others. any requests? my OEM bearing will not be in until tuesday, so i have time. Anyone need an all balls bearing that is not sealed? just has a dus cap.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I don't 'think' you will be able to run it like a KX with the KDX caliper. All due to the way the brakeline wraps down and under the fork leg. Those 2 little fins are in the way. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

hmmm, very good point
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think you would be better off routing like the KDX anyway.... less chance of a snag... although I haven't had any problems yet since it is tucked real good!

My 03 frontend is routed KX style but my 95 KX frontend is going to be routed KDX style.... Just to try something different.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "