2002 KX 250 FORK SHIMS AND TRAVEL LIMIT

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
cg2000

Post by cg2000 »

Hi, I'm looking for guidance on setting up a 2002 KX FORK for my 2002 KDX 220 for a 210 lbs rider (with gear) for wood / trail riding. I'm after, any advice would be much appreciated.

- base and mid shim changes
- distance for making internal travel restriction (in other words, how much longer is the KX fork than the KDX)
- oil weight (I'm guessing 5W)

I know this info is probably buried in the forum already but I've spent hours trying to extract it and if you have links etc, that would be helpful. Cheers, Chris.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2002 KX 250 FORK SHIMS AND TRAVEL LIMIT

Post by 6 Riders »

You don't limit the travel, unless you have them lowered, which will limit the travel to the 10-11" of a stock KDX fork. I took mine to a builder (RM forks) and had them re-sprung, re-sealed, lowered, valved and air bleeders tapped in.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
cg2000

Re: 2002 KX 250 FORK SHIMS AND TRAVEL LIMIT

Post by cg2000 »

yup ... limiting travel = lowering

Can't afford a shop right now, looking to do it myself, any info appreciated.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Lowering those forks is rather easy. If I can explain things while typing that is !!! Remove top cap and spring. Using an impact remove the bottom Allen bolt while holding up on dampner rod. Once loose dampner rod Assembly will pull out. Separate the nut\split Ring on the rod. Remove rod from bottom of cartridge. Slide pvc spacer over rod the desired length to be lowered. I like to taper the spacer to fit all the way to the bottom of rod. Reassemble cartridge. Cut spring the same length as spacer. Reassemble everything,add fluid and check fork sag.......yes fork sag!!! Shoot for 1 1\2-2" from no load to seated rider. This will be accomplished by trimming the spring.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200