Here is what I won.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Here is what I won.

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Well, I was hoping for a newer year setup but after losing some auctions and seeing this at a reasonable price, I went for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

I lost the auction on the wheel, but I think I would like to have a closer look at the KDX to KX wheel fit. I have an 05 KDX and the wheel is in excellent shape (minus the tire).
Does anybody know why the wheel will not fit other than the axel?
Is the KDX hub too wide or too short, The axel would be no problem as I can machine another or replace the bearings with ones that fit a larger axel. maybe?
I will have a closer look at the problem(s) when my forks anf TT come in. I have a wheel axel too that I won in a previous auction, so if I can use that , while switching bearings and possibly machining spacers to take up the difference in width if the KDX hub is on the short side.
Any ideas, suggestions, possible conflicts?
Thanks Everyone..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You absolutely stole those....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

BIG TIME!!! :supz:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Damn! Did you run down there with a ski mask and a gun or what? :supz: :lol:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I think he got Jerry onto the seller. :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Can't get any cheaper than that! Now you can afford valving!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'98s are 48mm?

Not unless yours are different from everyone elses. :wink: Racetech says a '98 has 46mm 'stuff'.

Not that it's a big deal...you got (I guess) the forks and clamps that match.

re: KDX wheel

Being a machinist, you will be able to fix the whole mess. You can machine your wheel to accept the KX axle and make a hub spacer to fit. Also, the external spacers.

While you have the KX forks apart you can maybe weld a tab on them to hold the KDX odo (if you choose), or make a spacer to take its place if you remove it.

Well, assuming there is room for the odo. Don't know about that. No huge deal.

Most folks don't have the advantage of the parts, equipment and knowledge to do that sort of thing.

Good luck!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Yeah the seller obviously doesnt know, they should be 46mm if they are 98's, but if they are 48mm, hey i'll take em. :lol:

I think i would prefer to keep the KDX wheel stock and make either a new axel or replace the bearings if there is room to do this (i am guessing the bore for the bearings is too small to accept the KX bearings but what about other aftermarket bearings?). a 2005 Wheel is just too new to sell for nothing or keep sitting in my garage. I will be seriously looking into these spacers and axel.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

48's weren't available until 2002 on a KX

THEIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I was feeling all cool about my deal till I saw yours! I'll have to start paying you to shop for me. :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

:grin: What brand name fork seals should i get?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: other bearings

By the time you fit some other bearing in the KDX wheel that fits the inner diameter of the KX axle AND the outer diameter of the KDX, there won't be room for any of those ball things. Well...unless they are about the size of a BB (exaggerated to make the point).

But, a machinist could make the axle fit the KDX bearings AND the KX fork clamps. That would be a good thing as even the bearings FOR the KX have pretty small rollers in 'em.

The KDX bearing is quite a bit more stout.

I fergit...is the KX wheel better than the KDX wheel? Wider? Thicker? I never paid attention to that 'cuz it didn't effect my situation.

It was my choice to keep the KDX stuff intact. That's why I bought a KDX stem from Fredette, so I could KEEP my existing KDX stuff. Besides that, my KDX suspension was perfect..and IS still better than the KX I put in. I'm talking merely suspension..valving, spring, hydraulic action. My KX stuff has been revalved..and likely will be revalved again before I'm done with it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'd go with Race Tech seals. They are tough!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Race Techs are proly the best, but if you plan on using seal savers then you could proly get by with the K&S seals or the LEAK PROOF seals.

On eBay right now you can get seals for about any KX frontend for $12 shipped. That's the way I am going....
Last edited by Indawoods on 08:16 pm Dec 08 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can get the K&S oil and dust seals shipped for $25.50 here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI ... 4596134018
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

What's the difference in using oil and dust seals? with dust seals do would you still use the seal savers? I was planning on getting the oil seals and seal savers.

What are these like, crap???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... 9706QQrdZ1
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your bike has both....dust seals go over the oil seals. The dust seals are the ones with the spring thing around them.....

I emailed that guy... he says they are Japanese made... like OEM (natural rubber)
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

What are the Athena ones like? I can get an athena kit with dust and oil seals for $30 CDN from my dealer, just over $25 US. If they are much like the K&S ones or better, I will go with them.