2001 KX125 fork hardness question

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Hi
A few basic things before you answer:
I'm not that fast (to old)
Apart from 11 to 18 years old my riding and racing has been on the road and track.
I have no answer the woops
My bush riding friends are more experienced than me aka faster. I'm ok as riding is riding but don't have the enduro experience they have.

I use a telltale on my fork, cable tie and it has never gone past 3/4 and I have the suspension set to softest rebound and compression.
The right fork is leaking even after using one of those seal cleaners so it's time to replace the seals and bushes.

Questions:
Should I be able to bottom it out with softest settings?
How can I tell which spring grade I have?
On assembly knowing the above should I use a lighter oil? (don't know what is on there at the moment)

Thanks
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2001 KX125 fork hardness question

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you using forks valved for MX on a trail bike?

You will have to measure the spring rate or take it somewhere to get it done.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

I am using forks I got with the rolling chassis for mixed trail riding. Haven't a clue what's in them but I suspect it's past life was MX.

How can I tell what valuing it has and measure a spring rate?

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It doesn't take much to get spring rates at home : DIY spring rate tester

The adjusters can only do so much, they won't make MX forks work for the woods. You'll need to change shims and possibly mess with the MV float for that.

I haven't been on valvinglogic.com for a couple of years now, but they used to have stock valving specs. If you can't find stock for your forks there, you can probably find it in a thread on here on or TT. It will be helpful to know if your forks have been altered before you get started making changes.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Thanks for the spring tester, I will have to go back and digest that.

Btw I had my first ride with the Rekluse clutch on the weekend. It worked a treat, really shines on hill climes and keeping up with my friends on enduro type tracks as you are always in a gear. May not quite be the right gear at times but that does not matter as its a gear with the momentary drive till it's the right gear. As stated before you tend to be one gear higher while riding with corresponding speed increase.
The down hills are ok if you trick the clutch into staying engaged. The only thing I did not like was muddynes of 5th or 6th at low revs. Upper mid and on the pipe are fine. Now all my suspension setting faults are making themselves known front and back.
Defently a keeper and couldn't go back.

Thank you for the inspiration to make my own Tedh98. I enjoyed the journey and product, what more is there. :bravo:

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What color engagement springs are you using in the EXP? Red springs with medium weights give me some slipping off idle. I need that as some of the trails I ride are off-camber mountain sides. When it is wet, I need the clutch to slip a little rather than the rear tire spinning. But with a little more throttle, I can keep the clutch from slipping at all.

There are a few guys that run silver springs (lightest) and heavy wedges. They ride in flat, sandy terrain and want instant hook-up. When I get back to riding I am going to give that set-up a try to see if it can work for me.

I had been following your progress and that took a lot of work to make the stock basket fit properly - but that looks like the type of thing that you enjoy doing.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

I do enjoy it as must you. You gave me little precious to go on, YZ 125 basket and pack. The rest was its been done so can be done all its going to take is time thought and money to be done.

The kit came with red and purple springs with 14 weights. Where is 14 in the options for weights?

I'm thinking I will go the lighter springs first. The main place we ride is a mixed bag but I do like instant spin just for the fun and if that can be started off the pipe it's safer and more satisfying.

On the right surface I was just about able to hold it pinned and bang it thruugh the gears like a cut out on the gear leaver (exuberance not the clutch). During the day I did notice a few gear changes were not so smooth so once its capabilities are mapped I should settle down.

Awesome toy

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tioli wrote:The kit came with red and purple springs with 14 weights. Where is 14 in the options for weights?

I have not seen purple springs, but there are blue. I think you would be happier with all red, 3 red/3 silver or all silver.

Your 14's are the medium wedges : 3.0 wedge comparison
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Spring colour could be blue I was going on memory.

That's strange that the weights get heavier as the numbers go down. I think I saw 12s somewhere.

How do you find the 13's can you discribe how they respond differently.

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tioli wrote:How do you find the 13's can you discribe how they respond differently.
I have the heavy wedges and the silver springs, but I've not installed them yet. I haven't been on the bike since last November.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Ah that would be the x-Ray then. Ok I will work my way to where I end up.

How did you do it?