What fork's/Shock should I look for?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

I want to do a fork swap sometime, as I can see a time coming when the stock forks( as good as I think they are), won't be adequate. I race VMX so the stock suspension is already out of it's element, I've smacked ruts and holes hard enough that the back of the bike kicked up and hit me in the rear while standing. :lol:

I've been reading and everyone uses something different, KX of all sizes, RMZ, YZ... Anyone have a list? I'd like to know what to look for before spending my money.

Will all year KX125/250/500 forks/triples fit with just a stem swap? Any special bearings needed, and will the KDX brake and axle work?
I know that RM 125/250 rear shocks are good, but what years will fit, and what work to the linkage is required?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: What fork's/Shock should I look for?

Post by Julien D »

Knowing what year your bike is would help, first. Look for the latest year KX forks you can find. Any year KX500 front end is a straight bolt on. KX125/250 will require a stem swap. The KDX axle and wheel will not work in most cases without machine work to the axle. The brake caliper will be usable in most cases, assuming you have a 93+ KDX. It's always best to source a complete front end, triples, forks, axle, and wheel.

Pretty much all the information you could possibly need is in this section of the forum. Take a look around and if you have specific questions, feel free to post them up.
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

It's a 1990 200. I've been reading for a few days, but It's hard to keep track of all the different options people use.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

You can put any front end on you want
So first you have to decide how much time, work and money you want to put into it the cheapest and easiest is any year kx500 or 90-91 kx125/250 also the klx300

Everything else will require stem swaps/machine work but can be done

Pick the forks you want buy them and make them fit!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Your front brake caliper will not mount to any USD forks. Just as well, as you'll want to upgrade that single piston caliper to the later dual piston setup anyway.
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

Cool, thanks for the info. At least part's are cheap for these older bikes. :supz: