95 KX fork fitting and adjustment

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

95 KX fork fitting and adjustment

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I slapped my 95 KX frontend together to make sure it had everything... It does. Still gotta try out the KDX caliper though...

One thing I noticed that is very much different is the alignment procedure.

These do not have a nut that goes on the end of the axle to bring everything together, but rather just has caps on both forks like the KDX. So, I imagine after they installed, I just loosen the caps and do the compression and release a few times and tighten? That's it... Right? If not... how else would I do it?

I'm still aways from putting it on because I need to install new fork seals but would like to get the procedure in my head before doing it.

I can take pics if that would help....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's right Vince. My 1996 KX forks are the same way. Float the front axle by not tightening the axle caps, bounce the forks AND squeeze the front brake (To line up the caliper to the rotor), then tighten the axle caps. Remember,a few guys here have snapped those studs on the axle caps so use a torque wrench.

BTW on your '03 forks, when you tighten that axle nut, be sure the fork pinch bolts are loose. This will draw the axle through the forks slightly. The non-brake fork has the axle slightly inside the fork leg. If the fork pinch bolt is tightened before the axle nut, the forks might bind up. I hope that makes sense.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Thanks Jerry... it makes sense. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Speaking of '03 forks, does anybody have the torque specs for the various front end fasteners like axle, pinch bolts etc.? I hate to buy a manual just for that. Maybe a spreadsheet with tabs for the different year ranges would be handy. I'll see if my friend with the '01 KX250 has info for that one.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I went 18ftlbs on the axle pinch bolts, I think 65ftlbs with some blue loc-tite (medium in a red bottle) on the axle, 10ftlbs on the lower clamp pinch bolts and 18 on the uppers.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

18 ft lbs? I would have thought the pinch bolts were much less than that. Did that come from a manual?
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The pinch bolts where? For the axle?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

yeah, the ones on the axle clamps that some folks snap off.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The 03 forks are made different.... they are bolts that thread into the lower forks. The same as the upper fork clamp bolts that thread in, the same bolt pattern and goes into thicker stock.

Your thinking of the KDX setup or older KX forks where a nut threads onto a little bitty stud.... that's where they snap off...

But no... I do not have a manual but have some mechanical knowledge and have a feel for physics... at least enough to know the law of averages.... I think! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Oh yeah, just went out and looked at 'em. :roll: I'm a dumb-ass again. :oops:

Anyway, I'm putting together a spreadsheet with the torques for different model year-runs, so if anybody has any specs, PM me and I'll put them in. Then the thing can get mailed or posted so anybody new to the swap can refer to it.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sweet! We can make a new Sticky once the information is gathered.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

Are you using 95 clamps and 03 forks?
Is 95 front end compatible?
96 KDX 200 H2
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've got two KDX 200's...
one has a 03 KX frontend I put on it last winter.....and for the other, I just bought a 95 KX frontend to put on it.
I didn't mean to confuse you. They are two different animals.

The 03 KX forks are 48mm and the 95's are 43mm, so no... they are not compatable.

The KDX clamps will not work on any KX forks.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

My question is: could I make a 95 kx front end work on my 96 kdx?

thanx Inda
96 KDX 200 H2
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Yes, with the matching triple clamp and wheel.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Most definately.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****