triple clamp press questions

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

triple clamp press questions

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have an '03 KX triple clamp and will need to get the stems pressed out of it, and my '04 KDX one. A friend of mine is a professional welder, and has access to a 12 ton press. I am no sort of metal guy. Is this going to do the job or would I be better off just taking it off to a machine shop? I understand you need to heat the clamp to free some factory bonding agent in there. What do I put in to replace it on the new set up? all this screwing around with the stem, shimming the top clamp with washers and shim stock makes me wonder why nobody just welds a different steering tube in place of the KDX one.. I take it that would be a lot bigger deal than it seems?

Thanks,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

$25 at a machine shop.... done. How much simpler do you want it? :shock:

The rest is easy too... you shouldn't stress over it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Well, I am sure nobody feels like waiting, but I will be machining a stem that will not require modifications and will not cause damage to your TT, but if it will suit your setup? It is hard to say.
I will make several of them and anybody who wants one can have it at cost, you will have to take care of the shipping and the material (cheap, $2.00 material max.)
I will have this done over the winter sometime, I will update you soon.
Phil.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Let me know Phil
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Phil when you get them finished let us know, i'm sure you'll find several people who will take them off your hands.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I would be happy to help in any way :grin: I'll let you know as it progresses.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I looked into that option too. I gave my origonal triple clamp with stem along with the KX triple clamp and stem to a machinist and explained that I wanted the KDX stem on the KX triple clamp. He said he could manufacture a stem in either aluminum or steel for about $25. With a new bearing pressed on as well, he wanted $50. I would have gone this way if not for the rediculous price of $15 to just swap the stem and knurl the clamp.

I'd say that if you were able to make a stem, have the customer ship their clamp to you and mount the stem to their clamp for $50, that would be a real bargain.

Good luck with your venture.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm out to rid the world of KDX frontends.... :twisted:

IMHO... the only thing a stock Frontend is good for is your basic trail riding. Anything beond that, your going to put money into them... and that money is best utilized by buying a KX frontend and gaining stiffness and rebound settings. Not to mention no more underhang that can hang you up... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Colorado Mike, it may be easier to just take it to a machine shop.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Anecdotal info...but I've heard of folks using 30-ton presses that weren't up to the task. I don't think they heated it.

Weld? A steel stem into an aluminum clamp? That would be pretty tricky, wouldn't it? I don't know...I've never welded a thing in my life.

I'm with Inda....it's pretty simple...worry less about it! :wink:

Knurl it if you wish...use the LocTite agent designed expressly for this type of application..buy some washers at your local hardware store, you're about done.

I chose to bush the top clamp to the required size over a shim stock approach. Either way gets you an OK setup. Of course....my idea was much better! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

by weld a steering tube in, I meant the tube on the frame. Steel to steel, not steering stem to the clamp. I'm not that dumb... but close. :blink: I'll stop worrying about it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

Hey Mike, I also have a 03 TT waiting in the wings. I agree with the other fellas, that swapping stems seems to be no big deal. But like CC, I want to keep my KDX front end together, so I was going to purchase another KDX stem anyway. I'm up for working with Phil to create a few custom stems, made to order. I'd be glad to help share the costs of developing the 03 stem. It would be way cool to have a perfect sized stem available for conversions.

Combine the stem development with Ski's custom brake line routing and I'm acting like a starving man on a Christmas Ham!! Give me more, give me more, give me more.. Man, it's good to be back. :lol:
2001 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: welding...

Oh. I missed that, obviously.

If door #1 consisted of finding an old frame of a suitable bike, cutting the tube off, cutting off the KDX tube, welding the replacement tube in, prepping the whole frame for a re-coat (oh...having stripped the KDX TO the frame, first) and door #2 consisted of taking a couple of pieces to a machinist and paying him some $ to fix it all up in a day or two...I think I'd not have to think REAL long about it! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!