Fork conversion kit

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Fork conversion kit

Post by KDXohio »

Came across this from all balls has anyone gone this route for front end swaps?
They have bearing kits to put almost any front end on anything it looks like however looks like they do not take into account stem length so you may still have to have shims/spacers made?

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fork conversion kit

Post by TheRadBaron »

I used All Balls fork conversion bearings when I did my '96 RM125 front end swap onto my KDX. It's a really cool and really useful program that All Balls has come up with and I salute them for it. You're right about the stem, though. Their program really just matches the bearing diameters (and maybe the heights to an extent) of the bike and the donor triple clamps. I had to have some machine work done to alter the length of the RM stem to make it work for the KDX. It was REALLY handy to be able to look up the proper bearings using All Balls' swap bearing finder, though.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fork conversion kit

Post by Tyl3r »

My opinion on All Balls bearings...they are junk. Sure, they may have a nice lookup tool that is useful, but I wouldn't buy their bearings ever again. I did 75% of the suspension bearings in my 400ex at the start of last spring and had to replace ALL of them (not some, all) before the end of that season. The rear axle bearings lasted 3 rides before they were toast!!!! I replaced them all with Pivot Works then and they are still going strong a year and half later. I typically clean/regrease them about 3 to 4 times a year, and it gets riden all year around.

On another note, these are all standard sized bearings that many manufacturers make. If you lookup one manufacturers part number for a certain size bearing, you can cross reference and find the equivalent bearing made by a reputable manufacturer (SKF, FAG, Timken, Koyo, etc). I just did that with the rear axle bearings on my quad, Pivotworks sent me a KOYO 6090, found out the SKF equivalent was 61908-2RS1, ordered and installed. The only downside was, entire pivot works kit for both bearings and seals was around 50 bucks. The SKF bearings were 180 bucks a pop! lol i found some overstock on e-bay and paid 40 a piece. So more expensive, but I expect to get atleast 2 to 3 times the life out of them, if not more. I'm a nerdy engineer, what do you expect?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike