kx to kdx tripple tree

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

kx to kdx tripple tree

Post by Jtons71 »

I want to up grade the front forks on my 1987 KDX 200. Can I bolt the tripple of the 92 kx 125 on to my kdx, allowing me to use the forks and brakes from the 125. Thanks for any and all advice
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kx to kdx tripple tree

Post by KDXGarage »

You can't "just bolt on" the 1992 clamps.

You would need 1991 clamps to get a "bolt-on" solution.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

Thank you, that i can do.
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

The reason I'm doing this is I've done enough work to the motor that it pulls off the ground whenever your on it and shift. It's a blast. However I let my buddies talk me into taking it to race at a place called Clavrack in N.Y. . Even with freshly rebuilt forks I bottomed out hard enough to send my kidney's into my throat. I raced the 80's vintage class. Nothing but cr 250's a couple 500's and a lot of 1-2-5 ers. Bike had more than enough power, I just need a way to use it now. I know its not a track bike but what experienced was unacceptable. Any more advice on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Im 6' and weigh 215. Not good for the stock set up if you need to jump more than 3 feet high. I believe the kx forks will solve the front, but what do I do with the rear?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Whether you have 1987, 1997, 2007 or 2017 forks, you will need the correct rate springs for your weight in full riding gear.

I race MX on a bike that weighs about the same, and I have .48 rate springs in the forks. A stock 1987 KDX200 came with .32, I think. Obviously, that is a huge difference.

Look at some Eibach 996 springs for the stock forks or get the KX front end and then you will have to get some stiffer springs for them.

You may want to look at some .46's.

You can find a spring for the rear that is better suited for your weight. A spacer or washer may be needed to use an Eibach 888 or a spring from a bike that uses one of that measurement of spring (late '80's some MX'ers)
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

kx to kdx tripple tree

Post by Jtons71 »

Couple of quick questions. I wanted to donate a few dollars to the site. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to get it right. A little help on that would be great.The information on hand has been invaluable and I'm more than happy to donate. I would also like to post some pics of the bike and the conversion process , but again I tried and failed.
Couple quick notes on where I'm at. I have the front end off a 1991 kx 125. Including some sweet anodized blue inverted forks. On Monday I will order the stiffer springs so that I can rebuild them to handle my weight. New wheel bearings [front and back] and caliper for some much needed stoping power. I also went to a local shop [Big Boyz Toyz] to talk about my rear shock. They were very helpful and will rebuild and revalve it for my weight at a very reasonable 175.00 . Pretty excited to get this going but I will certainly keep riding in the mean time.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I will ask Julien D for some assistance on the donation. Thank you for donating.

You can have pictures hosted somewhere and link to them or within the donation system, you can host them here, then link to them.

Good luck on the conversion.
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

Appreciate it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

My apologies, I have been up at our Cabin since Friday with no cell or internet service. Which is really pretty awesome!

What part of the process are you having issues with? You should see a button in the site header (top of every page), which says "Donate". Is that not taking you to a paypal page?
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

No need to apologize. I get to the part where it asks to type in your donation. When I do that and hit the donate "button" nothing happens. I just tried again prior to replying. Keep in mind I'm 35 with my own business and I still need her to handle anything computer related. I would ask her for help but she is already mad at me for the amount of money i have spent on my KDX . LOL :grin: . So you see my predicament.
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

Her is my wife. No cell phone service is beautiful thing.
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

I called Race Tech and they sold me a set of Eibach springs correct fro my weight and the new forks. Got them today.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you're still having issues with the donate button, you can always just go straight to paypal and send to admin@kdxrider.net as a gift. Just make sure you put your KDXRIDER username in the subject.

Can't wait to see how those forks work out for ya! Do you have them bolted on already?
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

Got them bolted on last night. Taking it out to test in about 3 hours. Had to do some slight modifacations. It would have been less fun otherwise. I was able to donate when I tied a few days ago.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Jtons71 wrote:Got them bolted on last night. Taking it out to test in about 3 hours. Had to do some slight modifacations. It would have been less fun otherwise. I was able to donate when I tied a few days ago.
Gotcha. Thank you for your support!
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

Total success! Forks worked beautifully. The upgraded brakes that I had to switch to was a nice surprise as well. I did an endo when I got on them a little hard. Can't say thank you enough.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Same forks I have I love that front end on my 90!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Jtons71
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jtons71 »

I'ts unbelievable the difference it made. In a week or so I'll get the rear rebuilt and sprung for my weight. At that point I'll be in hog heaven.