Questions on kx fork swap (completed)

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Rippin_RobMX

Questions on kx fork swap (completed)

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

ok so the forks i want to put on my 04 kdx 200 are off of a 04 kx250 what do i need to complete the swap? i would also like to use my brake caliper and wheel.
i need to press the stem out of the KX lower triple and put the KDX stem in the lower triple do i need somekind of spacer?
is there a list of stuff that i need to do in order to complete the swap?
Last edited by Rippin_RobMX on 12:51 pm Aug 10 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Questions on kx fork swap

Post by Julien D »

Yes you will have to swap the steering stem. Yes, you will probably need a spacer/bushing for the upper triple. You will not be able to re-use your wheel without doing some sort of work to the KDX axle to make it fit the KX forks. Brake caliper ShOULD be fine. There is a ton of info in this section. Just take a look around and you should be able to find everything you need.
Rippin_RobMX

Made some Progress with the swap!

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Got the stem swaped, caliper on, fender and only thing left to do is some how machine down the kx axle to fit the kdx hub or pick up a kx wheel.

Before the swap
After(almost done)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow. Nice subtanks. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Instead of machining the KX axle you can machine spacers for the KDX axle and reuse your KDX wheel. Your brake line should be routed to the inside of the fork leg however.
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

bufftester wrote:Instead of machining the KX axle you can machine spacers for the KDX axle and reuse your KDX wheel. Your brake line should be routed to the inside of the fork leg however.
yea i was thinking that the brake line would hit the tire some how because the guards push it closer so thats why i put it on the outside. now thinking about it, it would suck to have it catch on somthing like a branch as im ripping through the trails. For the machining the spacers for the kdx axle has me worried because it is a lot smaller then the kx one so i decided on just picking up a KX front wheel.
Rippin_RobMX

More Progress!

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

It is so close to being able to ride. just waiting on the kx wheel to ship and then just need to swap the tire over and its good to go! I just stuck the kdx axle through the hub to take a picture lol :lol: