stem is in

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would be hard pressed (no pun intended) to find someone who is hoping to convert back. The only thing I can think of is if someone was going to sell their bike and wanted to keep the KX front end. Some buyers may not appeciate the difference and what a potential seller may be asking above what a KDX with KDX forks would cost.

After seeing what KDX and KX stems look like after being pressed out, I am just curious to see how they compare to what a knurled one would look like. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Send me the pieces, I'll do it for ya! :lol: I'll even test it for ya too!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX220Phil, I'll have to pass. :cool: I am just curious to see one that has already been done.

Thanks for the offer, though. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How about throwing this into the mix....

Seems ebay-wise you can find clamps easier AND for less cost than KDX steering stems. Or..that not working out, you can get aftermarket clamps..but I see stems advertised much more rarely.

So...I'd rather keep my stem as is and mess with the clamp. That's NOT how mine worked out...but I don't plan on taking it all apart just for a looksee any time soon, either.

I'll bet'cha it wouldn't be too tough to just MAKE a stem. Ha..I'll bet'cha it would be a WHOLE lot easier if whoever was doing it had a stem to pattern the new one after.

BTW..removal of the bottom bearing is generally done by pressing out the stem. I just cut mine off precisely because I don't want to mess with that interference fit over and over.

I understand the 'fork tubes keep things aligned' part of it, still, I'd rather the stem be stuck in there purty good!

A 'D' stem in a 'D' hole would be neat...if'n there was a worry about things slipping. I suppose it's harder to make anything metal something other than just plain 'round.

Actually, that probably isn't true with CNC machine tools these days.

Heck..Mr. Black bores out some carbs into an oval shape. I think that's pretty cool just from the standpoint of the technical application of the process...but I think anything having to do with machining/forming metal is cool. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!