KX Fork Conversion / Required Knurling?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..

KX Years on required knurling (Only vote if "YES")

90-91
11%
No votes
No votes
3%
5%
14%
14%
5%
16%
3%
5%
No votes
11%
3%
11%

Total votes: 37

rickSA

Post by rickSA »

99' KX125 TT with 00' KDX200 stem was a perfect press fit without knurling.
'00 KDX200
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

Ok so im reading up on this MOD trying to make sure that i do it right, but please excuse my ignorance what is knurling? how do i know if i have to do it and how do i do it. This is what i have to play with so far:-

96-97 or 89-91 KDX 220 the reason i have put 96-97 89-91 beacuse i think it was importated i live in UK and the V5 vehical form sais it was registered 1996 but the bike wasent available in UK till 1997, and on the VIN plate it has (DX220 B) and i think this ID tag is relevant to bikes made between 89-91 so this is why i think it may be imported. But anyways thats enough about the bike i have also purchased.

04' KYB Forks
02' Yokes
04' Axel
04' Wheel
04' Brake Calliper
04' Calliper Mount
04' Disc Brake

Does what i have require knurling if so can somebody just explain in a little more detail what this is also pictures if you have them would be great.

Many Thanks
If at first you dont succeed.. Then push the other guy of his bike!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This is posted in the Fork Conversion Recap Sticky....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I might be wrong but I think the 220 was first sold in 97.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

ive read a couple of other posts on this subject and some have said that they did not require the knurling stage on certain years. Im still trying to find out if i can skip this stage its a 97' KDX220 and i have KX250 02' Triple Clamp to fit on to it. Any ideas? :?
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

I have a 02' KX 125 Triple clamp and wanted to know which way you press the stem out as i have read somewhere that it will only go one way but Which Way is it?
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

The stem presses down through the bottom of the T-clamp.

Ron
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

Cheers Ron, i shall try that tommorow im also going to heat it up so should assist in the removal :grin:
pietman

Post by pietman »

>|<>QBB<
rickSA wrote:99' KX125 TT with 00' KDX200 stem was a perfect press fit without knurling.
Hi Rick

Please let me know where you got your stems pressed. I'm struggling to find a place to do it .
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Any Machine Shop is able to do it.... make sure you give them specific instructions that the stem presses out through the bottom.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
pietman

Post by pietman »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Any Machine Shop is able to do it.... make sure you give them specific instructions that the stem presses out through the bottom.
Hi Inda

I took both t clamps to a machine shop to get the stems swopped. The guy at the shop just called me and said that he used about 1.5 tons of pressure and the clamp started bending ( I know it takes ALOT more than 1.5 ton to press out a kdx stem). He stopped working on them because he didn't want to F up my clamps.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your not going to use that clamp anyway.... let it be destroyed.... who cares right?

Besides that... I don't think the guy knows what he's doing... it should be supported around the stem as close as possible. I can tell by your description that is not being done. Also, did he say he is pressing it out through the bottom?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

pietman

Post by pietman »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Your not going to use that clamp anyway.... let it be destroyed.... who cares right?

Besides that... I don't think the guy knows what he's doing... it should be supported around the stem as close as possible. I can tell by your description that is not being done. Also, did he say he is pressing it out through the bottom?
You're right.

I told him to press it out through the bottom. I'm going to take it to another shop, the problem is most of them are closed by now for the Christmas holidays and will only be open in early January. :sad:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

A harbor freight press might be a useful addition to your shop, and just in time for Christmas!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
pietman

Post by pietman »

Finally got it done!

'05 KDX200 stem into '07 KX450F lower clamp did not require knurling.
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

I've read the fork conversion stickies. I still don't know if there is a fork that will not need machining and/or pressing to fit my 96 KDX 200.

Also, looking for info on differences between forks. Are 125, 250, and 450 forks all the same? I found a writeup somewhere (can't refind it now) that said the 125 forks are shorter? Or maybe it was 100 forks?

I'm also confused by Jeff Fredette telling me the 96 to 06 are the same bike. So why the differences people are reporting for these year models?

Thanks for any help.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

100's are minis... don't even put them in the same class... FORGET ABOUT IT!

The only difference is spring rates usually in any given year.

As far as knurling... plan for it... if it doesn't need it... even better.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

Thanks. There is a 2002 kx250 fork and triple tree on localcraigs. A good choice for my 96 200 ya think?

Thanks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... good choice!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

Great, thanks.

So I just bought a 2002 KX 250 front brake caliper, front excel wheel and rotor, triple tree, and forks with gold valves. Somebody local was parting out, and it's hard to find stuff in this small town so it seemed like providence.

Problem is I am 50 lb s heavier than the guy the forks were set for, so the gold valve does me no good right? I have to have it revalved and resprung anyway, right?

I just got the KDX, didn't plan to try the front end swap yet, but there on craigs was all this stuff big as life, so I thought I can buy it now and do the swap later.

But now, I have to get whichever forks I ride setup for me, the KDX seller was also lighter than me buy 50 lbs. I have to decide whether to get the KDX forks set up for me, and later do the switch if I want, or go ahead and do the switch now, and have the KX forks set up for me. Hmmmmm.

Any thoughts? How much does it cost to get forks set up? I do most of my own work, can I do this?

Thanks.