Back to the pushing of the stem...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
layoutd

Back to the pushing of the stem...

Post by layoutd »

so let me get this straight. if holding the steering stem with the bottom clamp on the bottom, the clamp will need to be secured and then the stem will be pressed down and through the clamp?

should the bearing still me on at this time? will the bearing already have to be removed?

either bottom bearing will work, but only the kdx top bearing will, right?

i just had my new forks revalved and now i am looking for the right machine shop, so i want to have the "smart" questions for them.
thanks
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Back to the pushing of the stem...

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
layoutd wrote:so let me get this straight. if holding the steering stem with the bottom clamp on the bottom, the clamp will need to be secured and then the stem will be pressed down and through the clamp?
Yes.
should the bearing still me on at this time? will the bearing already have to be removed?
The bearing comes off as the stem is pushed out..it sits on top of the bottom clamp while the stem is pushed through it.

either bottom bearing will work, but only the kdx top bearing will, right?
You will be putting on new bearings I presume. You use both the top and bottom bearings for the KDX. I do not know for a fact that no KX bottom bearings fit. I used new bearings. I bought KDX bearings. Do not ever mix inners and outers...do not use a new bearing on the stem fit to the old race in the steering tube. Well...not only don't mix old and new, but don't mix old ones, either. Replace the set..inner and outer.
i just had my new forks revalved and now i am looking for the right machine shop, so i want to have the "smart" questions for them.
thanks
If you have a second KDX stem, there is no pressing out of the old one to be done. That approach also leaves your KDX setup intact..the easier to sell to offset your KX upgrade cost.

Consider having your top clamp bushed to fit the KDX stem. That will save you horsing around with shimstock to make the two fit. The machinist can figure that out without any questions. Well...considering him to not be an orangutan and all..........

The above is fairly straightfoward. Some small points left out..like, you don't need to support the bottom clamp particularly. The pressure applied to the stem is going to 'secure' the clamp to whatever it's sitting on (the press table).

Another one of those small points. Obviously if the old bottom bearing was pressed off, the new bottom bearing needs to be pressed on. If the machine shop doesn't do that, you can do it with a piece of pipe. I used a piece of steel pipe (1 1/4" ID I think? Not positive about that. Take your bearing to the plumbing store and check it out if you're going to do it yourself) with a cap threaded on top. The cap made it easier to whang on with my 2 1/2# sledge. Put the assembled stem/clamp in the freezer overnight, place your freshly greased bearing over the stem..give it a solid tap. It fits quite easily. You can hear it when it's seated correctly.

I got my KDX stem from FRP.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Re: Back to the pushing of the stem...

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
layoutd wrote:either bottom bearing will work, but only the kdx top bearing will, right?
On mine...yes. Same lower bearing, I checked the numbers and used my KDX bearings. They were in perfect shape just like the races. Not all are going to be like that though.

I am not a big advocate of reusing wear items but they were just like new... absolutely no scuffing, well lubed and tight in the cage.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just reuse your KDX lower bearing. If it was good enough to use when you have/had KDX forks, why not when you have KX forks?? No need to worry about installing a new race.

If you DO decide to buy a new lower bearing, then DO install the new race cup into the frame, as canyncarvr wisely pointed out. :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

when you buy the new bearings, so they come with new races or is that a seperate purchase? if so, will i have to go to the dealer or will bikebandit carry them?
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

My bearings came with the races. I got mine through a Kwaka stealership.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have a new '94 and earlier OEM KDX lower bearing, and it comes with a new cup. I will assume that most any would, including the other OEM lower bearing, Pivotworks, All Balls, etc.

May I ask which year KX forks you have?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
layoutd wrote:I have recently obtained a set of 1996 kx 250 forks for my KDX. do i need to rework the valves and shims or can i just redo the seals and change the oil and then put them on the bike? will this still be too harsh for the woods? i weigh 160 lbs. can i just adjust clickers?

i know that a revalve would be great, but it is a fairly expensive operation from what i have gathered.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The bearing and race is a matched set. I don't think you could buy them separately if you tried.

Re: reuse.

Even if maintained fairly well, the chance of the bottom bearing having NO wear is real slim. I would almost guarandamntee that on your 'good' bearing there are easily visible wear marks on the race.

Removing the bottom bearing is simple if you are removing the stem anyway. BUT...getting bearing off without pressing out the stem is usually a large sized PITA. There isn't enough room to get puller fingers underneath the bearing when it's set. You end up either beating it off (what kind of stress does that put on the stem and clamp?) or cutting it off.

IMO and all that...but considering the fact that it is almost certainly worn and it is such a pain to change, it just makes sense to use a new bearing.

Reuse the top one? Sure! Largely because changing THAT one is a snap. AND it doesn't wear nearly as much or as bad as the bottom one.

BJH posted some bearing info for the oem sealed Koyo bearing a long time ago. No bearing shop I talked to (two of them locally) could get the bearing WITH the seal. Taking the seal OFF the old bearing will likely destroy it. I just got one from the local Kaw dealer.

BikeBandit carries oem parts.

I've never found them to be a better deal than RonAyers, though.

Good Luck!!

Be Thankful for something!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!