What year RM forks are desirable?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

sooooo, after bashing my nuts again because of the stupid overhang on my 89 kx hybrid, I gotta do some USD forks. What year RM showa forks are considered the best for trail riding? I'm not afraid of machining or mechanical work, just don't want to purchase an apple when I need an orange. Thanks in advance.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What year RM forks are desirable?

Post by 6 Riders »

Non usd, 96-99? Forks are supposed to be the best. I'm taking my time on a set of 95s
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Interesting, a conventional with no overhang. I will consider that. 49mm!

I assuming the spring and valving would differ between 125 and 250 bikes?

6 Riders, could I bother you to weigh them, or at least the brake caliper side tube?
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

49mm conventionals/cartridge...they are the best. :cool: Though I would have liked the look of USD's better. But I hear so much praise for the 96-98 conventionals, like I guess they are pretty much a one hit wonder. I feel lucky to have picked up a set pretty cheap!
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I don't care what they look like, neither do my nuts.

Finding these will be kinda rough.

Gotanubike, have you run them yet?
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, the 96-98 RM conventionals are considered the pinnacle for non-USDs. Not easy to find cheap though. 99-02 KX USDs work great and are an easy swap, and plentiful on Ebay. Plenty of RM USDs fairly cheap as well. Any of them will work great as long as they get sprung properly. I'm running 02 KX250 forks on my hybrid, and running 95 RM250 forks on my RMX250, they feel about the same.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Well KX is much easier to find, AND my front brake will fit. hmmm... I'm gonna keep scouring ebay for RM showa and if nothing pops up soon that's complete, I'll go KX.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

newbbewb wrote:I don't care what they look like, neither do my nuts.

Finding these will be kinda rough.

Gotanubike, have you run them yet?
Nope, still 2 feet of snow on the ground(down from about 3' after it poked above 5C for a couple days)...probably not 'til late April / early May

Here is a set on ebay. I looked at upper triples for mine when purchased, they can be picked up for $25 on ebay. Obviously you would need a center hub and axle, I think the kdx brake fits.
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

96- 98 RM forks are the best forks I have ever used. They are conventional only in the way they are not USD. They are a twin chamber fork. Don't get me wrong My kdx with kx forks was an improvement but the RM forks are just better IMO. The DR forks are almost the same fork but not twin chamber. For years KTM guys were putting them on there bikes. The change over is really no harder than kx conversion and you kan still use kdx front brake
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

I believe 2003+ DRZ/KLX400 forks are a shorter and soft sprung/valved variant of that big Showa cartridge fork.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

Dr forks are open chamber forks not twin chamber
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

osobad wrote:The change over is really no harder than kx conversion and you kan still use kdx front brake

ok, you have my attention now saying the kdx brake works. What year kdx? This would eliminate me having to find caliper rotor and brake master cylinder, all parts that get beat down and not maintained by most. Brake hose is easily made in SS.

These forks will be going on a 89 kx, which has the same brakes as my 93 kdx. I simply don't have time right now to look up all this info, so please don't think I'm lazy. Plus this is a good reference for others. I have piles of kx and kdx stuff and sourcing piece after piece from a RM is time consuming. I've had so many terrible experiences with bike stuff off of ebay, I'm kinda shy on trusting what other people think is acceptable in terms of "good used parts"

Thanks everyone!
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

don't know about 93 but 96 and up will work. worst case you have to get caliper which are cheap on e-bay. You will need RM wheel and spacers, axle. cost is about the same as kx swap with better fork IMO
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Ive got a front end off a 98 rm that have been sprung and valved for a 200 lbs rider . They only have a couple rides on them. But I hammered a tree and bent one of the chrome legs, and killed the wheel. If you can find a tube ill make u a great deal.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I put the 98 rm 125 forks on my h series 99 model this winter. I weigh 200# and they feel good to me. I don't know if they have the original springs in them or not. My caliper bolted up but was slightly off center of the disc. I put a thin washer between the caliper and mounting boss fits perfect.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

is the 93-94 kdx caliper the same as H series? I want to say yes but not sure.

royadams: PM me an asking price and all parts that would be included please.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I know that this is an old thread, but if someone else is looking into an RM fork conversion, here is some info....The 93/94 KDX front caliper is not the same as the 95+ caliper. But, here is some stuff I've found out since I started my 95 RM fork conversion.....
Seems the 95 (pretty sure this is 92-95) RM caliper is the same as 93/94 KDX.....at least the brake pads are identical....I'll verify this weekend. I am using my KDX wheel, with RM bearings. I'll have to cut down spacers and look at sealing the bearings. The brake disk fits, but they are a different (looking) disk. I bought the whole front end and will be using the RM caliper, but a newer KDX master cylinder and KDX brake hose. I'll route CR style with mine, but stock is under the caliper and next to the lower leg.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

'96-'99 RM conventionals are considered best? Why are people using the '95 RM Conventionals? Would 1996 RM125 conventionals work on E-series KDX (with some work)? Gotanubike, hows your conversion coming?
Edit: Just found your thread http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The 95 forks are usd. The 96 and up forks are a better fork.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Any Showa fork from 04 and up are really good forks.