Need some help with my new forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
squid

Need some help with my new forks

Post by squid »

I just completed my fork conversion. Went to 01 kx 250 forks. Love the look but holy cow are they stiff. I am planning on springs and gold valves but I am open to all suggestions. I am a complete suspension newbie pulled my first fork cap today. Anyhow on to my question is how do I determine the correct spring? Gold valves or not? Any free modifications to the existing valves and stack to make the forks smoother?

My stats
145lbs
5'11'
I don't know my class I ride in florida lots of sand and whoops I like trials type riding logs and stumps. I'm looking for a plush ride I'm not a motocross racer. I want the softest flowing suspension I can achieve if that makes any sense. Like Graham Jarvis style suspension. I'm starting to ramble now.
Thanks in advance
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Need some help with my new forks

Post by 6 Riders »

Spring it to your weight, that will make a world of difference, probably .40 or .41 springs, use 5 wt oil & replace seals and bushings. Basically, you are going to use KDX specs (not parts) on the KX forks. Myself personally would take them to a suspension shop and have them lowered, sprung and valved for your riding style.
I also recommend you tell the guru your real abilities and where you want to be in a year (as far as skill level).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 what he said. The KX250 forks will be wicked stiff for normal trail riding...spring to your weight, go with a lighter oil. Another suggestion is to get a set of fork cap bleeders. The USDs tend to build air pressure through the day, especially in a place like Florida where the temp swing can be 40 degrees from morning to afternoon (I used to live in Niceville) and will get stiffer as they do.. The bleeders are just a little push button valve that lets you release the air pressure inside the forks. Motion Pro makes them for about 5$.
squid

Post by squid »

There are zero suspension shops around my area within 50 miles. I'm more wanting to learn how to do the job rather than having it done. I've got the seal and bushing kit on the way. I also just received Race Techs suspension bible I've been reading that I did not know how much algebra and formulas went into suspension work. What's involved with lowering the suspension?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Where are you located?
and for lowering, this guy is pretty good. http://www.lt-racing.com/
Read his tech tips. He is pretty well priced and does excellent work.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
squid

Post by squid »

Lakeland, Florida right in between tampa and orlando
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I installed 01 KX250 forks on my 2004 220. I removed the bladder and all but 4 of the 24mm shims in the base valve. If you remove the bladder you need to modify the restrictive barrier too. It is very very easy. Depending on what you want, you may want to increase the mid-valve stack to stiffen it up a bit. Look back on my posts in 06-07 concerning the swap.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd