97 kx250 shock swap

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
masterblaster

97 kx250 shock swap

Post by masterblaster »

First things first...I know this isn't a fork conversion however it is relevant, please bear with me. I bolted up a 95cr125 front end to my h (see my poorly documented rambling post)and it turned it into a chopper. Luckily I had a 97kx250 shock from an old project and a member here said it would bolt up. This post is to verify that, mine bolted up once I ran the preload nut up to the top of the threads and compressed the shock 3/4". Every thing clears no rubs etc.

I spent two weeks spinning the preload nut up and down trying to find the right race sag and settled on 130mm as measured by my kids meter stick. I'm 14clicks in on the comp and 13 inn the rebound, im 230lbs and I mx on these settings your mileage will vary .

To get to the point it balanced the bike perfectly and I can't say enough good things about the handling. The throttle completely controls the rear end; throttle on rear end packs up and sKim's across everything, throttle off the rear end unloads and sticks to the ground like glue. I do not bounce around on breaking bumps anymore. With the rebound slowed down the bike jumps predictably and surprisingly wheelies better.

Yes the linkage hits the frame when topped out I noticed slight marking on the link,this is after two weeks of riding the bike very very hard I will post updates on this thread after I beat on it some more. Btw this set up works for me because I'm a bigger guy your mileage may vary.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 97 kx250 shock swap

Post by gsa102 »

I would like to hear more. Keep sending reports.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
masterblaster

97 kx250 shock swap

Post by masterblaster »

Since my last post I have put about 9hours on the bike (I ride every day before work)and the link looks the same I was going too post video today of me airing this thing out but courtesy of some kidney stones I'm not doing so hot...
factoryX

Re: 97 kx250 shock swap

Post by factoryX »

Wouldn't it be easier to just shorten the travel of the shock on rebuild via internal spacer? Racetech sells them
masterblaster

97 kx250 shock swap

Post by masterblaster »

I thought about out but the extra travel is actually a huge bonus in breaking bumps...also I'm lazy and it bolted right up lol. Oh yeah on more bonus it total levels the bike out with the cr forks and still had a ton of sag making out sick to the ground like glue