98kx 125 fork swap, length? Yamaha fork springs?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Thatfrsguy

Post by Thatfrsguy »

Hey all,

I recently purchased a set of KX 125 forks off a 98' , and triples off of a 98' 250

Also purchased wheel and brake line + caliper ...

Planning On sending my triples out to RB for the swap ..

As for the forks I've read that they are about an inch longer than the kdx forks??

Some people were saying the just put them up in the TT's and call it good ... I was wondering about the "fork shortening " or "lowering" I kept reading about but never finding any details ...

I was also reading that some people have used Yamaha fork springs after the shortening to accommodate for the shorter travel..

Any info on this would be awesome and a thank you to everyone here at kdx rider for having such an awesome site and knowledge base !!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 98kx 125 fork swap, length? Yamaha fork springs?

Post by KDXGarage »

yes, Yamaha springs are a touch shorter around those years, may work, compare measurements

look for info on a travel limiting spacer installed around the top out spring area

welcome to the forums
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Thatfrsguy wrote:Hey all,

I recently purchased a set of KX 125 forks off a 98' , and triples off of a 98' 250

Also purchased wheel and brake line + caliper ...

Planning On sending my triples out to RB for the swap ..

As for the forks I've read that they are about an inch longer than the kdx forks??

Some people were saying the just put them up in the TT's and call it good ... I was wondering about the "fork shortening " or "lowering" I kept reading about but never finding any details ...

I was also reading that some people have used Yamaha fork springs after the shortening to accommodate for the shorter travel..

Any info on this would be awesome and a thank you to everyone here at kdx rider for having such an awesome site and knowledge base !!!
Fork lowering; http://www.ltracing.com/html/suspension ... onLowering This guy (Les) does great work. You wouldn't believe what he did with my KDX (usd) forks. He will be setting up my new (RM) forks for me...IF I ever get the $$ together.....
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type