Best/Easiest fork swap

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
jeepnhal

Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by jeepnhal »

Yes I want it all.I've read countless threads and builds,but my real question is..If I was setting out without a plan,what forks should I look for?I'd like minimal machining,wouldnt mind having to buy an entire front end off a parts bike.Including wheel,brakes and all...oh and keeping the odometer would be nice,if at all possible..I weigh 165lbs and do mostly tight trail riding with the occasional sandpit run.....

I'd be looking to do this to a 94

And go...
When there's mud in your blood
1994 KDX200
1990 KDX200(parts bike)
2006 KLX250s
1985 TRX250 Fourtrax(snow machine)
1985 XR100 (booze cruises)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by KDXGarage »

jeepnhal wrote:Yes I want it all.
Not happening. :grin:
jeepnhal wrote:I've read countless threads and builds,but my real question is..If I was setting out without a plan,what forks should I look for?
Keep what you have.
jeepnhal wrote:I'd like minimal machining,wouldnt mind having to buy an entire front end off a parts bike.Including wheel,brakes and all...oh and keeping the odometer would be nice,if at all possible..
KDX250 or KLX300 if you aren't wanting to fool with a stem swap and lowering the forks (or riding with them pulled up super high)
jeepnhal wrote:I weigh 165lbs and do mostly tight trail riding with the occasional sandpit run.....

I'd be looking to do this to a 94

And go...
You sir, sound like a KLX300 front end candidate. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
masterblaster

Re: Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by masterblaster »

I did a swap with just all ballz bearing conversion, but you will HAVE to respring, find a thinner oil (or get into the stack)and slide them way up.
masterblaster

Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by masterblaster »

Never mind just realised your already USD imho no real benefit for your intended use save yourself a headache and spend the money on springs, fredette gold valves, and new tires...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

yep, not worth the trouble
dimebag828

Post by dimebag828 »

Im going to try swapping my 1994 USD kdx 200 forks soon for klx 300 forks and klx 300 triple clamp. should be simple enough will keep you guys updated.
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

dimebag828 wrote:Im going to try swapping my 1994 USD kdx 200 forks soon for klx 300 forks and klx 300 triple clamp. should be simple enough will keep you guys updated.
Cool man can't wait to see your end result! Looking to do the same to my 04 kdx 200 as well.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

94 kdx and KLX forks are nearly the same fork (the kdx is a slightly smaller diameter, but the internals are much the same). I suspect you'll find the biggest difference is that the KLX forks come sprung a lot stiffer, which for most riders will be an improvement.
Last edited by sarrant on 02:15 pm Jun 01 2015, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

.38 is a lot better than .30! :partyman:
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by offshoretitan »

I've just completed the KLX 300 fork swap on my 2004 KDX 220. At 6'1" and 210lbs without riding gear, I was bottoming out badly on the stock forks. Plus, I really didn't like the excessive underhang. My understanding is that the technical elements of the original equipment and the KLX 300 forks are not that different, but my thought was that if I'm going to the trouble to respring, valve and shim - why not go with the USD fork which certainly looks better and may be be a little more rigid. The KLX forks were rebuilt with Racetech .46 springs and Gold valves. While the bike was in a state of dis-assembly I decided to replace the OEM piston with the Wiseco; send out the head and carb to Ron Black for mods; replace all wheel, linkage and swing arm bearings; replace the tires (not completed at time of shots below); and a number of other enhancements. I won't be able to ride the bike until mid-June frustratingly, but will report on the results after.
Rippin_RobMX

Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

offshoretitan wrote:I've just completed the KLX 300 fork swap on my 2004 KDX 220. At 6'1" and 210lbs without riding gear, I was bottoming out badly on the stock forks. Plus, I really didn't like the excessive underhang. My understanding is that the technical elements of the original equipment and the KLX 300 forks are not that different, but my thought was that if I'm going to the trouble to respring, valve and shim - why not go with the USD fork which certainly looks better and may be be a little more rigid. The KLX forks were rebuilt with Racetech .46 springs and Gold valves. While the bike was in a state of dis-assembly I decided to replace the OEM piston with the Wiseco; send out the head and carb to Ron Black for mods; replace all wheel, linkage and swing arm bearings; replace the tires (not completed at time of shots below); and a number of other enhancements. I won't be able to ride the bike until mid-June frustratingly, but will report on the results after.
Nice! What did you have change to mount the klx forks to the stem?
sarrant

Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by sarrant »

offshoretitan wrote:I've just completed the KLX 300 fork swap on my 2004 KDX 220. At 6'1" and 210lbs without riding gear, I was bottoming out badly on the stock forks. Plus, I really didn't like the excessive underhang. My understanding is that the technical elements of the original equipment and the KLX 300 forks are not that different, but my thought was that if I'm going to the trouble to respring, valve and shim - why not go with the USD fork which certainly looks better and may be be a little more rigid.
I was comparing the KLX forks to the original poster's '94 E series, which has USD forks that are very, very similar to the KLX unit. Obviously there are more differences from the '95 and later conventionals.
Last edited by sarrant on 10:00 pm Jun 01 2015, edited 2 times in total.
sarrant

Best/Easiest fork swap

Post by sarrant »

nL_Devv wrote: Nice! What did you have change to mount the klx forks to the stem?
You use the complete KLX front end: forks, triples, wheel. They are a bolt-up replacement to a KDX.
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by offshoretitan »

Yes, it was a set of 2002 KLX triple trees and stem, and a set of 2003 KLX forks. I added new bearings to the stem and races in the neck. It bolts right up. I did choose to use the KLX brake line to better accommodate the routing. Axle, wheel, spacers and brake caliper were the original KDX equipment.

Also rebuilt the rear shock at the same time and put a heavier Racetech spring on to match the new forks' spring rate. Adjusted Sag and with all the suspension work and brand new tires the bike sits about 1" higher. It feels good and I'm hoping that the suspension performance is better balanced and right for my weight and riding style.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It looks great! Good job!