pressing the stem out

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

pressing the stem out

Post by canamfan »

Just got done pressing the stem out of my rm triples, I had read, I thought that the kdx stem had some sort of circlip holding it in, after removing the bearing I don't see any thing. Started to press it out but if feels like it is going to be much harder. I did heat the triples with a heat gun, figured the aluminum would expand making it easier.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: pressing the stem out

Post by 6 Riders »

It took 19 tons to get mine out....POW! :kick:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Are you using RM tripled and forks for a swap? If so, what year RM and KDX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I am working on a 95 RM front end.....I am taking my time due to funds. The KDX stem is way to small for the RM triple. I'm looking at having the triple machined and sleeved and then the stem pressed. Also need to look at having the top of the lower triple, where the stem passes through, shaved a little bit to get the lower bearing to sit right (low enough).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX stems are pressed down and out.

All the ones I fooled with took a mighty KLANG when finally budging. Heating the aluminum did seem to help. A heat shield for the bottom bearing is needed.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

pressing the stem out

Post by canamfan »

It's a 98 rm 125 with the showa conventional forks. I had bought a 220 with a broken piston a while back (going to use that engine in a hybrid) so I have spare parts to work with and my rider kdx isn't down.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

pressing the stem out

Post by osobad »

I have rm conventional forks from 97 125 on my kdx. The Kdx stem is not way too small for the RM tripples . 97 and 98 RM's, maybe a year befor and after, not sure have 50mm forks. They are also twin chamber, just not USD. These are considered to be some of the best forks ever made especialy for woods. The KDX stem will have to be Knurled just like with some KX conversions. You will also need Rm front wheel and spacers as well ass shim for the top triple to take up the space between stem and clamp as you ood on KX conversion. The 97-98 RM conversion is almost identical to KX conversion as far as process. Just works better IMO. OH you need to shorten about an inch also. This is if you are using KDX frame
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

pressing the stem out

Post by canamfan »

I cranked down on the press and it popped and came right out, I see the circlip now that would give you trouble if you tried to press it out the wrong direction. The kdx stem is a loose fit but not wobbling around.One guy on here said he used locktite (not sure which one) to secure the stem, the clip keeps it from being pulled out. I have the front wheel and spacers, I haven't tried but have heard the kdx brake caliper is a bolt on the rm forks. Osobad did you have yours revalved? I weigh 190, average c rider. there 98 rm 125 forks
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

pressing the stem out

Post by osobad »

Imo the forks in stock form are better than most KX forks revalved. I wound up having mine revalved when they were shortened. Have the stem knurled I would not use the loctite. I am using stock KDX caliper with 1mm washer between caliper and mount