Fork guards ?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fork guards ?

Post by Colorado Mike »

On the off chance that I actually win a freaking bid on eBay, what is the hot setup on those fork guard gismos? I'm talking about the hard ones that cover the lower leg. Do they typically come with all you need to mount them? Then those seal-savers, do those do anything? All the forks I have been bidding on are totally nekkid.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I use stock fork guards...with KX brake line routing....work fine for me, Ski and CC has some fancyschmancy carbon fiber guards with CR routing to keep the brake line outta the way....and they will chime in here to tell ya about their setup later I'm sure...but if your curious, go to Ski's gallery, there's some pics in there.

The SealSavers are great! I don't even get dust on my seals, let alone mud to ruin them. I have had some pretty dry conditions this year but I like 'em!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Carbon fiber guards allow you to NOT need the rings to guide them and can therefore run the brake line CR style. I went with a braided steel line too. The guards can be found on eBAy for under 60 I think. I got lucky with mine and didn't pay near that. I might have my stock ones from the KDX conversion and the stock KX units too. (I have two bikes) If I can dig them up, I'll let you know.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks Jerry. I'll let you know if I get the forks.. Starting to think I should have bought a KX in the first place!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

On '94 - '03 fork guards, Acerbis DO NOT come with guides and they are sold in singles. UFO is sold in a pair with guards. Look for dsdrury (I think) for the carbon fiber guards on eBay.

OEM KX brake line routing and hoses are different for different years.

'90 - '93
'94 - '96 (I THINK!)
'97 - '00 (maybe through '03)
'04 is CR style. I guess '05 and '06 are too??

If you get SealSavers, you may want to do what I read from a suspension tuner's post. Pull them down evcery so often for cleaning, as he had seen some people notdo that and leave the dirt in there to act as a scrubbing abrasive on the chrome tubes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I bought some Acerbis fork guards for mine. You will have to get the mounting bolts at a hardware store. I also run Sealsavers. They will save wear and tear on you oil seals. Mine have yet to leak and I've been through plenty of nasty stuff. Dirt can get up into the seal area and eat'm up pretty quick. With the Seal savers, the dirt does'nt make it to the oil seals. It wipes the lower fork clean when your riding.

Jon.