What should I expect??

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Cousineddy

What should I expect??

Post by Cousineddy »

So, I have a 2002 kdx 200,love it, ride it 3-4 times a week on extremly tough rocky, wooded singletrack, I don't have too many complaints about the stock fork (it is sprung-revalved for me),other than hitting rocks on the fork legs, I'm ok with it. I picked up a 2000 kx 250 complete fork/wheel assembly on Sunday,having the fork gone thru now, hopefully will have time this weekend to install it, what am I going to notice as the biggest difference over stock? Is it worth it? Ihave to admit, I won't miss having the handlebars ripped out of my hands when the fork legs hit rocks! You guys have done a great job documenting your conversions to make this easier! Hopefully the fork will keep me interested in this bike and out of the ktm dealership a little longer!
cornishwrecker220

What should I expect??

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You would be better off servicing the KX forks with new seals & bushings prior to installing on the kdx.....also for `woods` riding you will find them very hard/firm so again while they are apart it would be a good idea to have the springs/valves changed & set up for your weight/riding conditions....I would take them to a good dealer who knows what they are doing so you don't have to :grin:
Like you I too ride rocky wooded single track & liked the stock forks ...I have on many times snagged/hit the lower under hanging fork which like you say can & will pull the bars away from your hands ! Ive don't the KX fork mod but do find the dampening much firmer now...ideal when you are going fast but not so when things are slower & rocky....I guess its hard to have the best of both worlds.....one things for sure....I no longer catch my fork lowers !! :lol:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What should I expect??

Post by 6 Riders »

If they are valved and sprung for your riding style and weight you'll love them. They also need to be internally lowered to match the KDX's rake and fork length, otherwise they will be to long and cause you a bit of heart ache.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Cousineddy

Post by Cousineddy »

I have the local suspension guy taking care of the valving and rebuild, ordered springs from racetech, and I talked to him about lowering the fork, 3/4" is what I'm thinking. Is that about right?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

3/4-1" is about right.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Remove the rubber bladders from the kx forks and drill a few small holes in the bottom spring-seat washer to take the stiffness from the kx forks for trail use. Supposedly it really makes them plush for trails. I've done those mods to my 2000 kx forks but I haven't finished my rebuild yet to actually ride the bike.
2002 KDX 200
Cousineddy

What should I expect??

Post by Cousineddy »

Thanks for that info, I'll see about that today, what are the advantages that you guys see/feel by doing the swap?
Cousineddy

Post by Cousineddy »

So I picked up my freshly rebuilt fork this morning, threw it on this afternoon,I'm stoked! I don't understand why kdx's didn't come with usd forks? So much better! I need to build a bottom number plate mount tomorrow and figure out the cleanest brake line route, but WOW! What a difference in handling!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Cousineddy wrote:So I picked up my freshly rebuilt fork this morning, threw it on this afternoon,I'm stoked! I don't understand why kdx's didn't come with usd forks? So much better! I need to build a bottom number plate mount tomorrow and figure out the cleanest brake line route, but WOW! What a difference in handling!
You must let us know how you do the # plate mount!
Cousineddy

Post by Cousineddy »

I can't post pics, dunno why,but i did make a simple tab, drilled and tapped two holes in the fork and the # plate is very secure. I'm going to fab up a new lower mount to replace the stock one and eliminate the tabs as soon as I get some time. I finally got to go on a good ride yesterday, I can't believe the difference the fork conversion made!