92 KDX FORKS ????

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
roger543

92 KDX FORKS ????

Post by roger543 »

i have a 92 kdx 200 and found out that the previous owner put different and shorter front shock. I found a 90 kdx forks and for the same price i can get 98 forks. I know the axle is different but will the disk brake from a 92 work on a 98 forks??
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 92 KDX FORKS ????

Post by 6 Riders »

You'll need the forks, axle, trees and brake caliper. The only thing that really crosses over is the wheel.
OK, I take that back. I'm almost positive the wheel swaps, it did on my 93, but that has the USD forks, so I could be wrong, but still pretty sure they swap.
But yeah, the Forks, axle, tress and brake caliper are a must. The 98 forks are WORLDS better than the E series forks, but not as good as swapping in a KX front end. So if the cost is cheap, and I mean cheap, go for the 98 front end. If your over $200, consider going for a KX swap.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
roger543

92 KDX FORKS ????

Post by roger543 »

i don't have the upside down forks like on a 93 and 94 had. the set i was looking at are 43 mm so my trees are good and it does come with the front axial. The mounts for the caliper do look different, but not sure if 92 calipers would fit the 97 forks. There both 120.00 free shipping. The reason i am looking to fix this issue is i have no traction whats so ever. I have a new tire but the front of the bike is 4 inches lower than the back and the local bike shop that support and sponsor our bike trail said that is a huge problem.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You will need a 95+ KDX or (I think) any post 92 KX front caliper, the wheel will fit (did this to my Brother in Laws 89). I didn't buy a wheel, so he must have used his old one.

Edited for year of caliper...I over looked that...
Last edited by 6 Riders on 10:25 pm Sep 09 2014, edited 1 time in total.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

A 1986 - 1992 caliper will NOT work on a 1995+ fork. Look at Google images.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128