How about ride height?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

How about ride height?

Post by Colorado Mike »

I remember one post that said the ride height was dramatically higher after changing to USD forks. Is this true of all installations, or is it a matter of getting the right year of forks or something? I'm short probably will be all my life.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I think the KX forks are a bit longer than the KDX forks but can be adjusted so the ride height is pretty close to what you started with.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yep Mo's right. You add washers under the top clamp to raise it up so the fork legs have to be slid higher into the clamp to reach the proper clamping area. The KX forks are around 1" longer than KDX forks. Just measure from the bottom of your head tube to the ground with standard forks and use washers to get the KX forks back to that original height. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I always wondered if that puts the clamps in the wrong spot. I know some have reported stiction, but I haven't seen just how far down they are on the tubes. I think when I get around to putting mine together, I am just going to limit the travel a 1/2" or so, so I can just set the triple clamps in the normal position, IF they need to be adjusted.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mike... you will have alot of micro adjusting to get everything exactly the way you want it. It's not bad... I enjoyed it. Something about knowing everything about your bike that gives you confidence that when something comes up... you know exactly how and what to do! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jason,
All the KX forks have an area on them that you know is your limits. It's the area that is machined smooth and this is your range. You have a set... go look at 'em.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. When I said, "they", I meant various people on here and how far "they" move the forks up in the clamps/spaced out clamps.

There have been several people with various methods and success. I am just talking about my personal preference. Maybe it will just be another successful way to do the same thing.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think most do not have a KX manual of that year so do not know the torque settings. I fall into that category.

I found that anything more than 12 ftlbs of torque on the lower trees cause stiction. I believe everyone else has found this also. I may be mistaken but I don't think so.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I THINK (be careful) canyncarvr said someone told him how much it was. He had posted it a while back.

There's a lot of experiemntation involved. That is part of the allure! :supz:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Speaking of limiting fork travel, is there a guide anywhere that talks about this? My son is really too big for his KX85, but he's intimidated by the height of the 125s and 250Fs. I was thinking I could pick up a used 125 for him, cut out some seat foam, and put on a kouba link, but don't know about getting an inch out of the forks. It doesn't look like you can drop them that far. I've seen USD forks shortened for ladies, but don't know how it's done. If it can be done reversibly, I'd love to know the method.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Do you think KDX riders are the analytical type? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Rich Rohrich is like 5'5"... his bike is lowered considerably. He works for Eric Gorr.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Colorado Mike: Yes, internal, reversible spacing can be done. INHO, this may be a better solution than the link you mentioned.