Quick question on fork fitment....

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quick question on fork fitment....

Post by 6 Riders »

I found a couple different sets of forks that are reasonably priced. One set are 99 YZ 125 forks, the other 95 RM 125 forks.....IF I went with either one of these sets, are there going to be big fitment issues?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Quick question on fork fitment....

Post by newbbewb »

If they come with triples and stem then the question would be do they fit the the ID of the head bearings. then do you know someone that can cut threads on the upper part of the stem in case it needs to be cut down(aluminum frame bikes tend to have longer stems). can you press your current stem into those triples? then would be the overall length of the forks..i.e can you maintain the same caster...

man oh man is that a question.

I've never used those specific forks, but just like anything else, you REALLY have to watch what would essentially be your ride height in front vs rear. Those forks you listed are inverted forks, so your triples won't even come close to mounting them. for example, have you ever dropped your current forks just 2mm higher in the triples? talk about a different bike! it's super easy to screw up a great bike with the wrong front end, trust me, i've done it.

to answer your question, there will be fit issues. let us know how it goes if you do it, both of those front ends are worthy
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

don't forget that if your getting a front end from another bike you most likely will want the front wheel and brake assembly aswell
about the only parts you would use from the KDX is the steering stem and the front fender
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

diymirage wrote:don't forget that if your getting a front end from another bike you most likely will want the front wheel and brake assembly aswell
about the only parts you would use from the KDX is the steering stem and the front fender
Brakes swap over, I checked this out a while ago and the front brakes on the H KDX is the same as almost all the jap bikes from that time period and still used on a few bikes today.
Wheels and axles are available also, but that is UN important if the front end can't be swapped.
I did the KX fork conversion, and have all the stuff from that, but the forks ended up being garbage, so now I'm looking at doing it again. The price of these sets is very reasonable and I have physically seen the forks, they are in good shape.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type