Thoughts?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Brom32

Thoughts?

Post by Brom32 »

Is this a good buy? How much do you think fork seals will cost me? http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 37&alt=web
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Thoughts?

Post by Tedh98 »

Race Tech or SDI will have prices on those. Best to replace the bushings as well.

But i would tear them all the way down and inspect first. No point in replacing seals if other wear items need to be replaced in order for them to be safe and perform correctly.

I would also contact the seller to make sure all the threads on the lugs are in good condition.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Those are 1993 at the newest. That is too much to pay for those.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
RyanKeyte

Thoughts?

Post by RyanKeyte »

Those are not 98 forks. Those are older. 43 mm forks are fine, i ran some on my KDX for a bit, but I could not find anyone that made a spring with a heavy enough rate for me. ( Im 210- no gear). If you are a light guy, and like light springs, they can work. The newer 500s have a 46 mm fork. IIRC race tech makes springs up to a .48 or .50 kg (thats what i have now in 2001 kx500 forks). --Get an ENTIRE 500 set up, direct swap ... :-)
My helmet is making it hard for me to hear natural selection screaming my name!!
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

I am going to do the full swap. Is there a good place to buy the kx500 forks other than eBay?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Thoughts?

Post by motoracerx »

RyanKeyte wrote:Those are not 98 forks. Those are older. 43 mm forks are fine, i ran some on my KDX for a bit, but I could not find anyone that made a spring with a heavy enough rate for me. ( Im 210- no gear). If you are a light guy, and like light springs, they can work. The newer 500s have a 46 mm fork. IIRC race tech makes springs up to a .48 or .50 kg (thats what i have now in 2001 kx500 forks). --Get an ENTIRE 500 set up, direct swap ... :-)

Bump...with a question.

Do stems need to be swapped out, or are the the KX 500 triples and forks a direct bolt on with no mods?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thoughts?

Post by 6 Riders »

motoracerx wrote:
Do stems need to be swapped out, or are the the KX 500 triples and forks a direct bolt on with no mods?
It's direct bolt on!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Thanks, I've read sooooo much on here about the conversions and just when you think you got it figured out, you read something else that confuses you.

I bought a set of '99 KX 250 forks, triples, axle/spacers, brake caliper w/MC and line, a set of fatbars with 1 pc. handlebar mount .

My thoughts were to use 97-04 kx 500 triples to avoid a stem swap with the KDX and kx 250, but they are non existent thus far.
I read about the different offset with the 500 trips vs 250 trips, doesn't seemed to be something I should worry about with my novice riding status.

What about KLX 300 triples with the KX 250 forks, is that an option? Trying to find info on that.

I would be sending parts to RB to have the stem swap and axle work done for the KX 250 conversion, but if I could do a swap without sending parts out, I'd rather do that.