kdx to kx forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
bryce

kdx to kx forks

Post by bryce »

Has anyone sent RB their front wheel axel, and done the axel modification so that kx forks can bolt onto it? If anyone has how did it turn out, thanks!
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: kdx to kx forks

Post by G22inSC »

If I'm not mistaken that service has been discontinued. I believe he only does the stem adapters now. You may want to give him a call.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Give him a call. He did mine (01 KX forks to 04 KDX wheel axle mod) but it's been a couple of years. At the time he would only do the axle mod for 2000 through 2003 forks if my memory serves me correctly.

Nice guy, does great work.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
volkoff
Supporting Member

Post by volkoff »

I am confused. Why would you do this over just buying the KX wheel and front brake if needed? I keep reading about this conversion for this bike and the XR400, and for some reason people think they need to modify their existing wheels and brakes. Please just use the parts off the KX, this makes the conversion very easy. Afterall the stem is the part that needs to be changed. I did this conversion on a KDX and an XR, please think about it before you have some custom axel made. Just my 2 cents.
PS I am in the midst of a hybrid KX220 build so keep looking for pics, it is going to be amazing.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

volkoff wrote:I am confused. Why would you do this over just buying the KX wheel and front brake if needed? I keep reading about this conversion for this bike and the XR400, and for some reason people think they need to modify their existing wheels and brakes. Please just use the parts off the KX, this makes the conversion very easy. Afterall the stem is the part that needs to be changed. I did this conversion on a KDX and an XR, please think about it before you have some custom axel made. Just my 2 cents.
PS I am in the midst of a hybrid KX220 build so keep looking for pics, it is going to be amazing.

Well for me.....My KDX wheel and brake assembly were pristine. I also prefer the KDX routing for the brake line over the pre '04 under the fork KX routing. Mine get banged around a bit (roots, rocks, etc.) Buy the whole front end if your so inclined. For me, I got a deal on the forks and clamps only, and with the help of RB was able to easily make my parts match up perfectly. FWIW
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

there is definitely something to be said for keeping the KX wheel BUT keeping the KDX wheel has its pros aswell
for one, the KX does not have a trip meter on it and people might use that to figure how much longer until they run out of gas

I have one KDX with KX forks (and KX wheel) and one KDX with stock forks and wheel
each bike has 2 sets of wheels (1 regular set and one studded set) and I have more then once cursed the decision to go with the KX wheel because now all wheels between my bikes aren't interchangeable
(lets say one bike has a flat and I don't have a spare tube or don't feel like changing it, if both bikes ran the same wheel I could have just swapped wheels and be set for the day)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
bryce

Post by bryce »

Thanks guys, I decided not to do the conversion but I would like to put a number plate on it...is it hard to do? Thanks guys!
tico4lfe

Post by tico4lfe »

Hey guys, I have a 2003 KDX 220r and want to do the fork conversion to a KX- there is a fork that I saw that comes without the axle. What do I have to do to keep my front wheel, and who is the guy I need to call that can help me out? And also, does my front brake caliper fit the KX fork?