94 KX500 forks on a 03 KDX200

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 94 KX500 forks on a 03 KDX200

Post by bufftester »

The CR250 brake line is just a KDX brake line (Honda claimed tm rights on it early on which is what forced Kawi to route the KX lines under the fork). I have been running my line through the fork guard guide loop and both the upper guides without attaching it to the lower guard anywhere. When I attached the banjo connection at the caliper I angled it slightly to the outside of the fork to help the line lay tight against the guard. Not the best way, but has been rock solid for a year of riding (both desert through sage and snagglebrush and tight overgrown single track) and have never had an issue. I do keep an eye on it and if I ever saw any wear marks from it rubbing tire/rim/spokes I'd probably put some work into attaching it, but that cable is pretty stiff with all the protective tubing on it.

Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks for your input. Thats what I had originally thought, I couldnt see it being able to bend into there too easily. I still may buy a kx500 line just for the heck of it if I can get a good price and see how it works out. And thanks too for the info about the CR line lol
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Tyl3r wrote:
TN Dirtrider wrote:I just re-worked mine tonight. Bought a piece of 1/2" x 1/2" x 1-1/2" long slotted angle from the misc parts draw a Lowe's. Bolted the line clamps to the angle, then pop riveted the angle to the fork guard. We'll see how it hold up once I ride with it.
got any pics TN? Where did you rivet it at?

Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Think its ok to not run guard guides? I keep wondering about that... I like what you did tho. Did you ride and see if you can bust it off yet? lol

I was thinking about cutting a slot in my guide on that side so I could mount my clamp the way you have it and still use the guide. I'm just worried the guard will get ripped off somehow... and if it does, it will take the brake line with it and i just dont want that happening. I figure i could trim the middle out of the guide like this (excuse my crude and quick paint drawing):

That way the guide will still capture the fork by the sides and prevent it from getting ripped off and the brake line clamp will be able to fit in that slot during travel
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

I'm going to ride it tomorrow and see if it rips off. I thought about cutting a slot in the guide like you have laid out, but decided against it for now. I'm going to try it like this first.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Put about 30 miles on it today in some nasty stuff and it worked great...no problems at all.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

And it didn't seem like the guards were going to rip off? Perhaps I will hafta try the same thing as you. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it as soon as I get some time to mess with it.

Did you have the piece of angle sitting entirely outside of the plastic guard? Or did you cut a slot in the guard and put the angle thru the backside?
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

No concerns at all with the guards ripping off, but we'll see how it works out long term.

The angle is sitting completely on top of the guard. I wanted to minimize anything on the bottom of the guard that might rub on the fork. I was going to build up a smooth "ramp" on the head of the rivets with JB Weld to keep them from snagging on the fork, but after I put it together I don't think it is necessary.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, after trying out a couple different designs this weekend, I think I came up with a brake line clamp that I am happy with and that I don't think will break off.

I used a a piece of angle iron riveted to the fork guard. I cut a slot into the fork guard so I could mount the angle on the back side of the guard and have it stick thru the guard. I also added a sandwich plate to the front of the guard for additional strength. I put a little bend in the sandwich plate and the angle so it matches the radius on the guard where it mounts. I used the heaviest rivets that Lowes had lol and put some rivet washers on the rivets. When I push top of guard back so that it touches the fork tube, the bracket does not contact the fork. I dunno, I'm happy with it. I may use some JB weld on the back to smooth the transition a little more to make sure it doesn't mess up my fork seals. I also think I'm going to cut a slot in my guide (like the sketch above) and still run it for additional protection from the guard getting ripped off. But other than that. I'm happy with it and ready to test! If it ends up not working, I'm just going to give up and buy RM guards lol Here's pics... Let me know if you see any issues that I didnt see

Outside:

Inside:

Back side:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

looks good

if your interested, I think (almost certain) I have a set of black fork guard guides somewhere in the garage
want me to check for you ?

(though the way you mounted the brake line might knock the guide off the first time you compress the forks anyway)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

YESS!!! I couldnt find black ones! lol I'd love to have black ones on there. Thanks man!

And I was thinkin about cutting the left one kind of like this:

I figured by doing so, the clamp will go thru the slot and wont break off. By having that angle mounted on the back side of the guard, I feel like its strong enough that it would break my guide off (if I was running one) before it would break off... its pretty solid. But still...I dont want to break anything off lol just want it all to work