94 KX500 forks on a 03 KDX200

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

94 KX500 forks on a 03 KDX200

Post by Tyl3r »

Got my fork swap all finished up this evening:

I asked on here about how I should mount the stock headlight, I think I got it figured out now. The top mounts for the headlight I'm using are the stock KDX ones:

For the lower hole, they are just off by about 20-30mm or less, I'm just going to make a little strap to connect the mounting hole on the tree to the hole for the headlight. I'll prob cut them out of a sheet of aluminum that I have laying around and rivet the strap to the headlight mount.

But yea, the swap was extremely straightforward. Just order the complete KX500 front end (94-03) and it bolts right on using your KDX caliper. The stem bearings are the same too, but you need to get new ones when you do this. And thats it, if you can change a set of stem bearings, then this is no problem! lol

Here is the brake line routing using the KDX caliper if anyone is wondering... this is why I wanted to use my KDX caliper over a KX caliper:
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
TN Dirtrider

Re: 94 KX500 forks on a 03 KDX200

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Just curious, as I am still working on brake line routing for my conversion. If you think about the fork being fully compressed, is the brake line going to be okay with the angle that it will be pulled to stay in that guide for the fork guard?? I am literally right in the middle of working on that issue with mine.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

The way that I had imagined it when the forks fully compress, that "loop" of brake line from the caliper to the fork guard guide will stay about the same size thru the cycling of the suspension, just get a little longer when fully compressed, and that straight portion will sort of stay that way... I dunno, I'm reading what I wrote and I dunno if I can say what I am thinking. I guess what I want to say is that I see your point and I agree to an extent, but I think it will be ok. I'm wondering if I should maybe take the brake line out of the fork guard guide for better routing.... but at the same time, I don't want it hanging there for something to snag it.

I'm just going to have to take it easy on it the first time out and see what its doing. I'm hoping that it will be alright, if not, guess I'll just hafta come up with something else.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

I just re-did mine last night, hope to try it out later today since I am off for Presidents Day and the weather doesn't suck for once.

I had an old pair of radiator louvers, and the bolts used were the same size. I cut out 2 parts of the louvers where the bolts went through, and left a little tab sticking out the bottom of each. Cut a slot in the fork guard and apply liberal amount of JB Weld. I am thinking that I have enough glue surface, especially since there is a horizontal and a vertical glue surface. We'll see once the JB Weld dries if it will hold. It isn't pretty, but hopefully it will be effective. Of course, now I wish I had bought black fork guards. If it ends up working out good I may go back and buy a black pair and make up a set that will look better.

Can no longer use the guides for the fork guards, but I think that will be ok.

thebird_19

Post by thebird_19 »

Looks good. Like the Samurai in the background.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You will want to reroute that brake line on the inside of the fork leg just like the KDX to keep it safe from trailside snags. The clamp that TN came up with is similar to the stock one and works well. You want the brake line clamped to the top of the fork guide, and as the suspension compresses the extra line moves up through the upper brake line guides on the triples. That also keeps the length of the line between the top of the fork guard and the caliper constant.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I see what you are saying. I'm going to hafta play with it and see what I can come up with. I'm not too sure I want to do it the way TN did... just because I dont want to loose the functionality of the guard guides (especially the one on that side cause I just bought a brand new one lol)
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

thebird_19 wrote:Looks good. Like the Samurai in the background.
thanks lol its a pretty nice one, 87 with 30k original miles and not a spot of rust... it runs and looks brand new! I wanted it to to chop it up and build a woods buggy with... but after going over... I feel too bad lol so now I gotta find something else worthy of cutting up.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I've been looking around a little and I think I'm going to try to figure out a way to do the same thing with the brake line as KDXRIPPER did here:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ne#p128590

Think there are fork guards that have a little tab built in like that? Or you think thats homemade?
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

My solution shown above didn't work....couple of jumps and the JB Weld popped loose. My fork guard guides have a loop for the brake line like the picture above, but I was told that I need to clamp the line so that it won't get into the spokes. Not sure what to do at this point.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

For brakeline routing, since you both have the little "clamp" things at the bottom of your forks....The 97 KX front brakeline can be used with the KDX caliper. It loops over the caliper and then back down under the fork leg, that brings it up the front of the fork and bolts right to the stock KX mounts. Of course if you go this way, the brake line will route behind the headlight/number plate instead of up and over like a KDX line does. My ultimate solution is going to be to have one custom made, but that will cost a little more than a hundred $$.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

The brake needs to attach at the very bottom of the fork guild. If its half way up like in the photo, when the fork compresses all the way down it will tear it off. If you want to mount it on the top you will need to remove the guide and run it like a lot of new bikes
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I don't know if they fit, but 2004 - 2006 KX250 fork guards use the guides and a KDX style mount.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ooooo i see i see... I looked into the KX250 guards, the guides hold the guards from the back, rather than capture them like the ones I have. I'm going to have to do some investigating to see if those guides will mount up to my forks... if so, I'll make the bottoms work (if they don't already) and I would be good to go... wish this topic would have been brought up before I bought all new fork guard stuff... thats not gonna work! haha o wells

Here is what it looks like in case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about:

This bike doesnt look like its running guides? its an 05

Think it would be ok to not run any guides with the guards I have now?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

If you run them like that I would probably cut the front part of the guides off, and run them so if it rubs your fork it will not wear down the bottom of the fork tube
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Would be nice to find out the newer KX 250 guards would fit. Having that built in tab would be great. I may have to just buy a pair and hope they fit.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

On my hybrid I actually just routed the line like the KDX, and using the 2001 fork guards just ran the line through the loop at the top. It's not fastened anywhere on the guard and I haven't had any issues in a year of riding. The newer 250 guides would be a good way to go.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

I just re-worked mine tonight. Bought a piece of 1/2" x 1/2" x 1-1/2" long slotted angle from the misc parts draw a Lowe's. Bolted the line clamps to the angle, then pop riveted the angle to the fork guard. We'll see how it hold up once I ride with it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The one with the apple green exhaust is stock.

The next one has a holeshot device, but it is not mounted correctly. The left guard doesn't have the guide.

2007 KX250 has no guides, but a large circlip on the seal area, where the guide rubs against it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

TN Dirtrider wrote:I just re-worked mine tonight. Bought a piece of 1/2" x 1/2" x 1-1/2" long slotted angle from the misc parts draw a Lowe's. Bolted the line clamps to the angle, then pop riveted the angle to the fork guard. We'll see how it hold up once I ride with it.
got any pics TN? Where did you rivet it at?

I was doing some looking and thinking about mine and how to make it work with what I already have. The conclusion I came to is I think I'm just going to buy a kx500 brake line and route it the way it came on those bikes, maybe just try to run the line behind the headlight instead of in front of it (like the 500's). I looked on the KAWI website and cross referenced part numbers, looks like the KX500 and the KDX200 use the same caliper (new number supersedes the old). So I dont really see any reason why that line wouldn't work out perfectly for my situation? Is there a reason it wouldnt?

I also was thinking about just mounting it like this:
haha kidding...

was thinkin tho... if I dont run the line through the top brake line guide on the trees, I could build a little bracket off of the stock mount for the brake line clamp and have the clamp positioned where I have it in the second picture below:

but then again, I still have to worry about it running into the guard guide and it seems like it would be easier to rip off in the woods.

So, what I'm thinking: I'm going to hit up good ol eBay and get me a stock brake line for a 94 KX500 and route it just like the KX500's came. I can then utilize the lower clamp mount on the fork and run the line up through the brake line guide that is built into the fork guard guide. Then just use the brake line guide on the lower fork clamp and do away with the guide on the upper clamp. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

I was also doing some quick googling last night and started reading about running CR250 front brake lines? In what I was reading, a lot of people like them, but I did not read into it enough to know what the advantages are? Anyone hear about this? Think this is this something I should investigate?