06' KDX200 Fork Conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Cashy

Post by Cashy »

Hey Guys,

I have a 06' KDX 200. I am looking to replace the standard forks with upside down forks. Just wondering what front end to search around for.
From reading around it looks like I should get a kx 125 front end, and use its brake assembly also. So what year kx 125 would have forks best suited for my 200. An 06' model, the same year as my bike? Also what else is involved to getting it to fit up. Would appreciate any input. Cheers
how to do a screen shot
avgKDXjoe

Re: 06' KDX200 Fork Conversion

Post by avgKDXjoe »

Hi! Welcome to the forums! Nice bike you got there.
I'm using an entire '03 KX 125 front end on my '04 kdx200. forks/Tclamps/hub/wheel/brake. Choosing forks just depends on how much work and research you want to do. I recommend a KX frontend just because the conversion is easy and people here have it down to a science.

The quick answer to what I did to mine:
1. Press the KDX stem out of the lower KDX triple clamp and press KX stem out of the lower KX triple clamp.
2. Press the KDX stem into the lower KX triple clamp. The KDX stem might need to be knurled on the end to fit tight into the KX lower. I sent mine to RB for this, he also sends back a spacer for the top and pressed on my lower bearing. http://www.rb-designs.com/KDX-KX-Stem-Swap.htm
3. Check/replace bearings (RB also installed my new lower bearing)
3.5. drink beer :partyman:
4. re-assemble the frontend before too many beers.
5. Ride
6. re-spring/re-valve for your weight/riding condition? (i'm still playing around on this step)
'04 KDX 200
'01 KDX 200 (current project)
Cashy

Post by Cashy »

Hey thanks for your post and I look forward to the beers :rock:

Is the top spacer that I require a custom one?

And would an 06' kx125 front end be suitable? or is 03' 04' 05' pretty much the same package.

Cheers
avgKDXjoe

Post by avgKDXjoe »

RB machined the spacer for me but others on here have used other methods of filing the space. '06 will work but if you try and use any other year t-clamps you will want to make sure they fit. I'm pretty sure in '03 the diameter of the fork tubes changed. But someone else with more knowledge would need to verify that.
'04 KDX 200
'01 KDX 200 (current project)
Biggles787

Post by Biggles787 »

I am in the process of putting an 01 kx125 front end on my 02 kdx. I just got my spacer in from RB (super fast turn around). Waiting on some bar risers and some bearings and it will be good to go.