Stock headlight mounting on KX500 forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

How did yinz mount your stock headlight on kx500 forks? I see how I can make a mount for the bottom of the light, but i dont know what to do for mounts on the top. I bought some replacment rubber accerbis straps for the top, thought i could make them work, but they arent long enough to wrap around the fork. Are there rubber straps that would work?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Stock headlight mounting on KX500 forks?

Post by 6 Riders »

If your bike is an H series, use the stock mounting hardware for the top. As for the bottom.....I ended up zip tying mine down for right now. My thought is to have the "ears" on the lower part of the stock mount cut off, moved in and re-welded.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

I am putting a KX 250 front end on my bike, but the concept should be the same. As 6 Riders mentioned, the top mounting hardware is going to transfer over to the KX top triple clamp. On the bottom, I am planning on using some extra heavy duty twist ties that can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. I always carry some of these in my tool kit, they are a life saver. Turns out that if you cut the knobby end off of one the body of the tie will go right through the lower mounting hole on the headlight. I'll twist it there, then wrap the remainder around the fork leg or triple, whichever works best. Won't know for sure until I get my lower back from Ron Black.

Here are the ties like I am talking about: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-12- ... /203210641

I've actually used these to tie a buddy's handlebars back on his bike after he crashed and sheared off all the mounting bolts. It enabled him to limp back to the truck. These things are really handy!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

the KDX top triple has 2 mounting holes for the light, the KX500 top triple only has one mounting hole in the center for mounting the stock number plate.

You are correct about the bottom, 6 Riders, the mount can just be modified to work.

What I would really like for the top mounting is some of those rubber straps that wrap around the fork tube for mounting aftermarket lights (like I said above). This is how the aftermarket headlight mounted on my last bike, and would like to do it the same way. The fork tube diameter is just a good bit bigger on these KX500 forks and the straps wont wrap all the way around.

Thanks for the idea about the wraps, but I would rather not "rig" it like that for long term. I do, however, like the idea of carrying some of those with me, so I may have to go pick some up.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Tyl3r wrote:the KDX top triple has 2 mounting holes for the light, the KX500 top triple only has one mounting hole in the center for mounting the stock number plate.

You are correct about the bottom, 6 Riders, the mount can just be modified to work.

What I would really like for the top mounting is some of those rubber straps that wrap around the fork tube for mounting aftermarket lights (like I said above). This is how the aftermarket headlight mounted on my last bike, and would like to do it the same way. The fork tube diameter is just a good bit bigger on these KX500 forks and the straps wont wrap all the way around.

Thanks for the idea about the wraps, but I would rather not "rig" it like that for long term. I do, however, like the idea of carrying some of those with me, so I may have to go pick some up.
The H series KDX has metal "tabs" that bolt to the fork for the upper mount. The lower mount is bolted to the lower triple and that is where people are having trouble. The KDX triple is wider than KX triples, so the holes don't line up or there is only one. I am going to have the mounting ears on my lower mount cut off, moved in and re-welded. On my 94 the headlight becomes "UN-Mountable" due to having oversized bars, which removes the upper mount. If you are doing an E series for conversion, you will need a new head light assembly.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

6 Riders wrote: The H series KDX has metal "tabs" that bolt to the fork for the upper mount. The lower mount is bolted to the lower triple and that is where people are having trouble. The KDX triple is wider than KX triples, so the holes don't line up or there is only one. I am going to have the mounting ears on my lower mount cut off, moved in and re-welded. On my 94 the headlight becomes "UN-Mountable" due to having oversized bars, which removes the upper mount. If you are doing an E series for conversion, you will need a new head light assembly.
Yea no kidding, you already said that. I already have the bottom mount figured out and am going to make a new plate for it. I guess you dont understand what I'm asking... I know I can (atleast I'm pretty darn sure) use some of those rubber straps that wrap around the fork tubes for mounting aftermarket lights to mount the top. Does anyone know of some straps that will work with the large diameter KX500 fork tubes?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Just buy an aftermarket headlight for the kx500? Seems an easier route then to fab one for another year make when you just might get a new light with the proper straps. OR if possible contact the seller of the headlight you have and see if you cant just buy the longer straps for tubes.

When you look at the aftermarket lights they don't differ in looks compared to the other makes or models just says for blah blah and year and color. So that has to tell me they use a longer strap of sorts for the larger diameters and just use a streetfighter style for different makes or models with different colors. Same injection plastic molding machine. Longer straps?

Perhaps instead of fabbing what you have instead just buy one for kx500 forks and sell the one you have to recoup cost and cut down on mod times. Little less to worry about on the trail too.

Not saying you cant mod something and make it work perfect too. Just seems to me theres an easier alternative already out there.

This one says it fits kx500 and for ten year span and believe yours falls into it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Dirt-Bike ... 73&vxp=mtr

So sell yours afterwards and just pay 20 bucks with the shipping maybe in difference and have a new light with little mod time or worry. I wouldn't guarantee that this light wouldn't give you the smaller straps as well but worth a shot but its the same design for the kdx kx klx yz zukes but is labeled different for models and years so that has to tell me longer or shorter straps for the tubes.

Its a thought and its morning and coffee hasn't reached me yet.

Congrats on the forks btw.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

thats not too bad of an idea either. Im kind of partial to the stock KDX headlight for 2 reasons... I'd like to keep it looking somewhat stock and I got those custom graphics from rocky mountain and the headlight has my name on it (yea, you heard right, I want to keep it for the sticker lol)

Those straps that come with that headlight are exactly what I want too! They have a couple holes so you can adjust for whatever fork tube diameter you have. I havent seen ones like that before. I'm going to hunt around and see if I can buy just those straps. If all else fails, maybe I will just but one of those headlights lol

Thanks for the input. And I'm stoked about the forks! Can't wait for this white stuff to go away so I can test em out! lol so thanks again!