shim stack mod for klx forks same as kdx???

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

i'm the lucky feller that ended up with actionman's kdx 200. its a 2002 model with 2005 klx forks. i have read that the internals of the kdx and klx are the same. so would the shim stack mod work for the klx forks just like it would for the kdx ones? i got the correct springs for my weight today and was going to do the mod when i put the springs in. that is if it is the same for these forks. thanks in advance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: shim stack mod for klx forks same as kdx???

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX USD forks are VERY different from the 1995+ KDX forks.

Search for stock valving stacks and compare.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MCKDX220

Post by MCKDX220 »

ridinredneck,

They have a similar design, but are different, USD vs. Conventional. Both only have compression adjustments, no rebound adjustment.

I can't imagine that the base valves are that much different.

Any rate, given I am X KLX 300 owner I can point you in the right direction.

Go to TT and search under the name Brewster in KLX section, he is your best resource for data on the KLX 300 forks.

I believe he has a good shim stack setup that most riders like.

I would try 2.5wt fork oil in it if you don't feel comfortable removing the base valves and give that a try it made a slight improvement on my KLX when I had it.

Michael
87 KDX200 / 02 KTM 520 EX/C / 87 XR 200 / 90 XR 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Ridinredneck is a really awesome guy, and I'm glad he came to this site! I don't own the bike anymore, but I still log in here as soon as I wake up. Good info! This place is all you'll need if you own a kdx ron!by the way: I should be getting a truck in a few weeks, so we ARE going to go riding somewhere lol. Keep in touch, brother!
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, perhaps I should have said the base valve valving is very diferent between the KDX USD forks and the base valve on the 1995+ KDX conventional fork.

As besy I remember, the 1995+ forks have ten shims. I think the KDX250 has just three, but one is thicker.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

thanks for the kind words jeff. you're all right in my book too. thanks for the info folks. mckdx220, im not a bit afraid to get in to the forks valves. i have rebuilt, revalved and messed with shim stacks before. granted it was on twin chamber forks, but after messing with those the klx forks should be easy lol. i put the springs in today but havent taken it on a real ride yet. the shock is lacking big time. like it has very little action to it. just feels dead. i set the sag on it and played with the clickers but not much better. could just be the nature of the kdx shock. i am used to running mx bikes turned woods bikes. i do all my own work so i may play with it some more or go to a different shock. but i need to get it out in the woods and work it over. that will tell me what i need to do. lol
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

Actionman wrote:Ridinredneck is a really awesome guy, and I'm glad he came to this site! I don't own the bike anymore, but I still log in here as soon as I wake up. Good info! This place is all you'll need if you own a kdx ron!by the way: I should be getting a truck in a few weeks, so we ARE going to go riding somewhere lol. Keep in touch, brother!
we will for sure ride together. look up the redbird crest trails in leslie county ky. thats my back door. nothing but pure riding bliss.
MCKDX220

Post by MCKDX220 »

<<the shock is lacking big time. like it has very little action to it. just feels dead>>

Odds are it needs a service, i.e. change of oil and nitrogen recharge.

I have a low usage 2000 model and I get plenty of shock action out of mine, i.e. I can feel the difference in the compression and rebound settings when I make adjustments.

Michael
87 KDX200 / 02 KTM 520 EX/C / 87 XR 200 / 90 XR 200
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

well heres an update. i took it out today for a bit and after making some adjustments it is rideable. had to turn the rebound all the way out and the compression all the way in on the shock. compression on the forks are all in as well. its not exactly A class harescramble ready but its good enough for right now. seems to do ok in the rocky stuff but the small choppy stuff is a bit harsh.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you are happy with the knobs turned that far in/out, then I am thinking it needs fresh oil and/or a revalve.

Do you know how many hours the shock oil has on it?
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

Jason wrote:If you are happy with the knobs turned that far in/out, then I am thinking it needs fresh oil and/or a revalve.

Do you know how many hours the shock oil has on it?
no idea. a rebuild or different shock is on my to do list. it might be a lil while but it needs it.