2005 KDX 200 fork conversion Need Help!!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
AaronLasher148

Post by AaronLasher148 »

I have a 2005 KDX200 and I am racing harescrambles this year in a lot of rocky tracks! I race B and these forks just aren't doing it for me and I don't like how they hang so far down. Can someone tell me exactly the fork swap in detail that I will need for this bike! I want to swap the forks out but don't know what forks to swap them with and what fabrications will need to be done? Please help!!
avgKDXjoe

Re: 2005 KDX 200 fork conversion Need Help!!

Post by avgKDXjoe »

If you want easy, buy a whole KX front end and swap the stems. I'm using an '03 KX 125 front end. You will need a spacer and the KDX stem may need knurling to fit into the KX lower T clamp (mine didn't). After that it's just rebuilding the forks for woods.
It just depends on what forks you try and swap. KX are the most common and easiest IMO.
'04 KDX 200
'01 KDX 200 (current project)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

There are other front ends besides KX that darn near swap direct. But KX is the most common, being you have an 05, the stem will press right into the KX trees, you need a KX wheel and figure out a way to route the front brake line. I'm using a KX brake line w/kx routing (under fork) instead of the more common CR type routing (around fork). I will have a custom made line done up here pretty soon so I get the KX routing w/the DX length. Spacer is a must have to fit the top tree. All Balls has a conversion chart for straight swaps. I pretty sure YZ front ends and positive the CR250 FE fits. Years matter though.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Just do this. You won't regret it.
http://www.rb-designs.com/KDX-KX-Stem-Swap.htm
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

That is what I did, but didn't go through RB, just did it at a friends bike shop, pretty easy really.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Just some thoughts about alternatives...

If you weigh about 155 to 175 most 125 forks spring rates will be in the ball park for you so you don't need to get aftermarket springs. I used YZ125 forks on two of my bikes (see my signature) the routine is exactly the same as for the KX forks (but I think the yz forks are more tuneable due to better compression stack base valve flow). Strangely, one set of 02 yz triples needed the KDX stem to be knurled, but the other didn't. eh.

The hardest part is mounting the brake line on the fork guard so the brake line won't rub anywhere - I use tiny hose clamps and clamp the stock kdx line directly to the YZ guard's raised brake line guide. You don't need to break apart the hydraulic anywhere for the conversion as you will use the KDX system as is, with the following exception: the stock KDX brake caliper works, but you need to get a yz/wr caliper bracket off of ebay ( usually need to buy the whole brake caliper ass'y but you can get a crappy one cheap and toss the caliper). (This is the bracket the caliper mounts on to allow sideways movement - a slightly different bolt pattern (barely discernable) for the YZ/WR forks.

I did not need any special spacers and wrapped a strip of aluminum disposable baking pan material around the upper stem to make up the difference in diameter between the stem and the YZ triple hole ( same as you'd have to do with a KX triple). That setup has been perfect with no play.

A kx or yz wheel will work with this setup (I use both on these bikes) you just have to make the axle spacers the right length for a KX wheel.

Don't forget you'll need to raise the bars so the longer USD forks can be raised in the triples to get the right geometry . (mine are raised about an inch).

If you can get WR250f forks you won't need to revalve the compression stack, any mx'r whether it be KX, RM or YZ will likely have too much compression damping for rocky conditions. You will need to have someone (or yourself if you want) revalve that stack to make better offroad units. I run amsoil light 5 wt (actually a 2.5 wt oil) at 120 mm oil height with revalved compression stacks and the forks are PRIMO for enduros and trail riding, harescrambles etc.

Do a search on revalving mx forks for off-road if you want to tackle it yourself...it's really not that hard.
Last edited by kawagumby on 04:04 pm Jan 30 2014, edited 1 time in total.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

If you go with KX forks, I recommend RM fork guards. They have the place to mount your brake line already installed. Easy.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I am in the process of doing a KX500 fork swap on mine. Its pretty much direct bolt up, you just need new stem bearings (the kx500 and the kdx use the same stem bearings). You also got to make sure you get the entire front end when you find it (forks, clamps, stem, front wheel, axle)... the KDX front caliper also bolts right up and works with the KX rotor. Easy...as long as you can find one. I was watching eBay for a while until I found what I was looking for.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike